Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

The WORST mod I have ever done

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The WORST mod I have ever done

This little guy

A few months back when I put in my new exhaust I was having problems with my cats hitting the floor. I then changed motor mounts and trans mount to polys and solved the problem, however I picked up a lot of vibration. Everything rattled in my interior, any sort of rpm created vibration in the car, but I kind of got used to it. Just changed the trans mount back to stock and the car feels 1000x better! Feels like a 10 year newer car with how much smoother it is. I would rather change this thing every week than have a poly trans mount ever again Just wanted to share my experience.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting. I've run poly or solid trans mounts in several cars over the years but can't put a poly trans mount in my M6 F-Body for the same reason. Some weird combination of things I'm unable to find makes it vibrate like the dickens. I do however have full poly mounts in several different cars with different chassis designs and never had problems.

Not sure of your setup but I don't have the torque arm mounted to the transmission, it's a Spohn TA mounted to a poly bushing on the transmission cross member.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:11 AM
TECH Junkie

If that's an Energy Suspension mount, that's understandable why it would suck. I am a believer in poly trans mounts, but ONLY Prothane brand. It feels so much better that the shifter isn't flying up when I go wide open. People talk about vibrations it adds to your car, but like a week or two they are all completely gone. I have had 3 cars with Prothane mounts and they were all great. Had a nitrous car, and 2 cammed cars, with different clutch setups and they have all been great. I hear horror stories of the ES brand mounts though

In my opinion, the Prothane trans mount was one of my favorite cheap mods, and can't wait to install their motor mounts.

Last edited by HoLLo; 08-23-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

I agree car feels like something is dragging and just a whole lot of vibration. Es should make one durable but comfortable.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HoLLo
If that's an Energy Suspension mount, that's understandable why it would suck. I am a believer in poly trans mounts, but ONLY Prothane brand. It feels so much better that the shifter isn't flying up when I go wide open. People talk about vibrations it adds to your car, but like a week or two they are all completely gone. I have had 3 cars with Prothane mounts and they were all great. Had a nitrous car, and 2 cammed cars, with different clutch setups and they have all been great. I hear horror stories of the ES brand mounts though

In my opinion, the Prothane trans mount was one of my favorite cheap mods, and can't wait to install their motor mounts.
It is an Energy Suspension mount. I didn't know that there was a difference between the ES brand and Prothane, maybe I will have to try that one out sometime
Old 08-23-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an Energy Suspension motor mount and I love it. My OEM one was worn very badly when I installed the ES one, and I really noticed a difference in the overall feel while driving. My car is loud and give off lots of vibrations already, but I'm ok with that right now so any additional noise from the motor mount went completely unoticed and I wouldn't have really cared.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Launching!

The mount won't "cause" vibrations but it will amplify ones you already have that were absorbed by the rubber mount. I would check into replacing your harmonic balancer to get rid of the bad vibration