Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Please help!!!

Hey guys, I really don't post too much on here but I am in desperate need of some help.

I have a 2000 Camaro SS that just pissing me off! It started off as misfiring every once in a while. Then it went to only misfiring under 2000 rpm's on every gear. Once it got over 2 grand, it was perfect (very weird) Now it just won't stay on once I tap the throttle.

I turn the car on and turns rite up with no problems at all. It sounds healthy and all, but as soon as I give it just a little gas it shuts rite off. I mean, I can have it idling for 30 minutes with no issues but as soon as I touch the throttle it shuts off. As soon as it shuts off, I turn the key and turns rite up like nothing's wrong and again I'll get on the gas just to revv it up and it's off again. It's never thrown a code either. That's why I leave it idling for so long in hopes that the SES light will come on and then someone can scan it, but no luck.

I've replaced the fuel pump, new plugs, new wires, injectors are fine, new fuel filter. I only thing I can think of are the o2's??? I'm out of ideas here and I'm getting tired of spending money and getting nowhere fast. Before I spend any more money, I just want to know if anyone's run into this issue and what you did to fix it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

BTW: Its an A4 with full bolt-ons and an X1 cam...if that matters.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surely you know someone with a scanner down there, get it read
Old 08-22-2011, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Well I'm trying to get a hold of my tuner to try and scan it but he's very busy with a new career, and it's extremely hard for me to even send him over there if my job has me out of town alot rite now. We can never settle for a date and time.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RGV SS
soon as I give it just a little gas it shuts rite off.
...fuel pump, new plugs, new wires, injectors, new fuel filter... o2's?
Did you change the oil? What about the cabin air filter?

You should stop throwing parts at it. Go to 'zone & have it scanned (Oops -can't drive it). After idling for minutes (or hours) the only thing that changes when you put you foot on the pedal to make it die is what? Follow the throttle cable to that thing there. That's where I would start looking. Borrow one from a friend. Or just buy a new one to try. Check all the connectors first, it could be that easy. Post up what you discover.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RGV SS
Hey guys, I really don't post too much on here but I am in desperate need of some help.

I have a 2000 Camaro SS that just pissing me off! It started off as misfiring every once in a while. Then it went to only misfiring under 2000 rpm's on every gear. Once it got over 2 grand, it was perfect (very weird) Now it just won't stay on once I tap the throttle.

I turn the car on and turns rite up with no problems at all. It sounds healthy and all, but as soon as I give it just a little gas it shuts rite off. I mean, I can have it idling for 30 minutes with no issues but as soon as I touch the throttle it shuts off. As soon as it shuts off, I turn the key and turns rite up like nothing's wrong and again I'll get on the gas just to revv it up and it's off again. It's never thrown a code either. That's why I leave it idling for so long in hopes that the SES light will come on and then someone can scan it, but no luck.

I've replaced the fuel pump, new plugs, new wires, injectors are fine, new fuel filter. I only thing I can think of are the o2's??? I'm out of ideas here and I'm getting tired of spending money and getting nowhere fast. Before I spend any more money, I just want to know if anyone's run into this issue and what you did to fix it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

BTW: Its an A4 with full bolt-ons and an X1 cam...if that matters.
The ses code your looking for to pop up has probly been tuned out by your tuner. Thats why your not getting any ses light.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

It is hard to say but I wonder if it is in the TPS. If you have someone with HPTuners or a scanner they can tell you what is going on.

Where are you located?
Old 08-22-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
It is hard to say but I wonder if it is in the TPS. If you have someone with HPTuners or a scanner they can tell you what is going on.

Where are you located?
my money is on that hes down in the valley from the looks of his name
Old 08-23-2011, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, I will give that a try.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Dont know where you are located but I have a scanner. Also without scanning it and just from what you describe it could be the IAC or MAF. The rear intake gaskets on these also spit out pretty easy so you could ave a vac leak. My money is on the IAC or MAF though.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with SlickZ, It may be the TPS or IAC, I dont know if cleaning the MAF would help but I would try that at the least.
try to do a TPS reset. put the key on start, then unplug the TPS sensor, turn off key, go plug it back in, put the key in the on position and wait 10 seconds then start it. see what it does.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:54 PM
FormerVendor

If you reside anywhere near Arlington (DFW area) you can bring the car to us and we can isolate the issue so you can stop wasting money. Sometimes the Auto Zone scanners are not 100% accurate; We have a more advanced scanner that properly picks up on anything stored in the PCM. Let us know if we may assist you.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, I appreciate you guys willing to help ,e out with scanning it but unfortunately I'm from the Rio grande valley. Way too far from you guys. But the MAF has been tried and no luck. I just had a friend try his TPS on my car and same result. I have not tried the IAC though. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks for the help.