Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

replace 98 camaro front shock mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replace 98 camaro front shock mounts?

I have ordered shocks for my 98 camaro. I have been reading about the rust problem on the front shock mounts. Is it possible for me to tell if the shock mounts need to be replaced with out removing them from the car?

Also I have looked up prices for shock mounts and GM OEM mounts are almost three times the price of after market mounts. I have read that the Moog mounts are the best aftermarket mounts, anyone have any experience with the Moog mounts?

What other parts of the suspension are likely to need replacing?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

unfortunately there is really no way to tell if you need to replace them without taking them off the car. I just replaced the shocks/springs on my 98 yesterday and had a really bad rust problem but only on the passenger side. It took a lot of time and P.B blaster to get the nut off the top of the strut mount. but if you are getting new strut mounts I would also suggest getting new insulators because that is where the water seems to pool up in there. I'm not sure what kind of shocks ur getting but I purchased bilsteins and they did not come with the front dust boot/bumpstop and I destroyed my stocker trying to disassemble the strut so right now I'm going bootless. I've heard people who haven't used them with no problem and some say that there a necessity, I'm not sure either way. Hope this helped a bit
Old 08-22-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I did my install, they mainly had rust on them from the strut's threaded shaft and the nut itself. I cleaned them with warm water and a nylon bristle brush and they looked good as new. I wouldn't replace them unless the mounts are cracked, or if the insulators are broken.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What 67SS&99SS said. At the minimum, I would clean up any rusty metal surfaces with a small rotary wire brush and coat it with some rust inhibitor.

Beware that if you replace the OEM isolator with a NAPA version in the OEM mount -- it will be too loose -- too much play and not snug.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my problem wasnt the nut but were the strut shaft goes through the shock mount. it rusted to it and i ended up tearing the mount to hell. i bought gm mounts because of aftermarket fitment issues, i dont know about moog but they have been around many years. i did use anti seize on every nut n bolt i even put it on the shaft just in case. take your time and make sure you have the all the tools.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Just removed my passenger side to take out the lowering springs, and my upper A-Arm had a good amount of surface rust, as well as where it mates up on the body. Used an electric grinder on both, and then sprayed with Rustoleum.

Quick Reply: replace 98 camaro front shock mounts?