Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Airbag Fix Q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag Fix Q's

Alright so the story is I got into a front end collision going 40mph as another driver slid and pushed me into a tree while it was pouring down raid. Airbags deployed of course and Front end + frame was damaged quite badly. 6 months later and lots of work in the garage I finally got her looking like nothing ever happened (Frame fixed by shop of course).

As iv'e been driving her around for the last few months, I can't stand the way the dash looks anymore. I thought i could deal with it till Saved up enough to get the whole airbag system replaced but that's not happening.
At this point i'm not looking to make them functional cause they didn't do jack except give me a bad cough and destroy my windshield. And I don't have any interest in selling her. So my few questions are....

-1998 Pontiac Firebird Formula (6sp)

- What is needed to make the dash look normal again w/o overhauling the whole system.

- Even if its just the passenger side (dash), i could live with that.

I cut the actual bag sticking out of the dash so the SRS panel would go over it, the dash has separated a bit from the airbag area.

Any advice on what is the best process, and what can be done is appreciated. The picture below is a bit old, but the only difference is the bags are cut out. Ill try and get a shot of what it looks like now in the morning.

Thought i'd throw in a pic of how she looks now, was a bunch of work but i kept her from the graveyard
Old 08-23-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm very interested to know what you find out on this aspect as well.

I am in the very beginning stages of restoring my 1999 Formula that was crashed into in June. I have some major front end & structural damage, and my Airbags deployed, as well. As you stated they did nothing to "Restrain" I and my wife. The Driver's managed to give me some burns on my arms from engaging while I was gripping the steering wheel. The passenger airbag didn't even touch my wife, but, as we're all too aware, destroyed the windsheild. (What a ******' stupid design.)

I would very much like to know what it would take to eliminate these from my Firebird while retaining the Factory Appearance of the Dash and Steering Wheel.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Bumping this,
Any help is appreciated!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Default air bags

I just did this myself on a lt1. I removed the passenger air bag from the top. It will require a dremel style tool to cut it out. Once it is out you can either replace or leave it out. The top panel can then be glued back down. The driver side is held in by two troque screws. This airbag can be found in a salvage yard for about $20. What I have not figured out yet is how to make the light go away.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:04 AM
Launching!

Reviving this very.. very old thread in hopes some new insight on airbag replacement is available?
Old 07-22-2012, 07:30 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

A quick search of auction websites shows either air bag can be had relativity inexpensively.

Also, I don't see why you wouldn't want the additional safety of them. I understand this time around it didn't help you but every accident is different. And, if you have an accident, your insurance company may not cover any injuries if they discover you removed them.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I can see insurance not being happy AT ALL if they find you have removed the airbags. Is there any law requiring airbags?

Quick Reply: Airbag Fix Q's