Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS tune up

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS tune up

Hey can anyone help me.. my friend has a '01 SS camaro it has almost 75K miles on it. It is in need of a tune up. What would this consist of? i realize the basic plugs, wires, filters, but what else is there? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-04-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Fluids-tranny/rear end.

Mine has 56K and I'm replacing
the plugs on Monday. Leaving the
wires-they look fine. Just did the Fuel
filter. My rear fluids are OK since the previous
owner managed to blow 3 pinion seals. Once
every 15K-knock, knock, F it bang on wood
Old 03-04-2004, 06:19 PM
Teching In

The rear end was just replaced in october so I don't have to worry about that. How often should the plugs be changed? Does it specify that in the owners manual? If so can you tell when it says to change them? My owners manual was lost by the idiot ex! BTW...it's my SS he's doing the tune up on. THNX
Old 03-04-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock plugs are suposed to be good for 100K miles, changing at 50K is a good idea because the platium is usually gone by then. If replacing with NGK TR55 then most say every 15K, although mine still looked good.

Fuel filter a must.

A fuel system cleaning would be very good too. Specially if you have oil blow-by from the PCV.

Check PCV and replace if necessary.

Transmission fluid and filter change (A4).

Check coolant and replace if necessary.

Check up on brake pads, brake fluid and any other fluids.

That's all I can think of right now.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

As a technician, on an LS1 I would look for the following:

*75k stock plugs & wires = Must be replaced, Rec NGK TR55 w/ MSD wires 8.5
*75k stock belts = Both if in bad condition then replace
*Oil change if needed
*Trans service is a MUST, not full flush
*Rear end service is needed if still stock
*Air Filter
*Coolent if you got dex-cool try to flush it with green stuff, cuz dex-cool creats slug bulid up which is BAAAD
*Check brake fluid
*Check for power stearing fluid
*A lot of complaints about fuel filters on f-bodies at 50k so check that

I know this is a lot of work but its keeps the car running like new
Old 03-05-2004, 06:16 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

I know most of you will frown on this but I am the original owner of a 98 SS with 120K miles, and still run the original plugs. The car runs fine, I get 20-24 mpg, and still run 13.3 ETs with only a lid and loudmouth. I have replaced and maintained every other fluid, filter, and parts at the specified interval (usually more often) but I wonder about the guys that saying the stock plugs don't last long. I am going to replace the plugs real soon, while I have the manifold off to replace the knock sensor.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:27 AM
TECH Addict

umm i have 70K miles on original wires too, no misfires, no problems. It might be PM, but the mechanic recommended those $55 gm racing wires over any others due to fitment (not popping off,etc). Given his SUPERB job of installing, i'd probably go by his recommendations. However i did not replace the wires, just the plugs, car still runs great, efilive 6.3 logs no inconsistent misfires (other than what the cam likes to do at idle but those are consistent).

He found the valley (ls6 intake installed) with oil in it, and carbon buildup on valves/intake, so a top end clean might not be bad, and flush the intake manifold, then do the PCV mod (on my list) or add a catch can.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Teching In

I changed the plugs on mine at about 25k...put on the bosch platinum. I was told that was the norm....guess not. Should we change those out?
Old 03-05-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

do it when you do the headers man. its only logical since you'll probably nix one in the process if you dont take them out

plugs last forever. If you think otherwise find someone with efilive and go drive around and log misfires you'll see if i a plug/wire/coilpack is shot real FAST.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by yukz
As a technician, on an LS1 I would look for the following:

*Coolent if you got dex-cool try to flush it with green stuff, cuz dex-cool creats slug bulid up which is BAAAD
Define flush. Could I disconnect the radiator on the bottom and stick a hose in the top on full blast?
Old 03-05-2004, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Talking

Originally Posted by SStella
Define flush. Could I disconnect the radiator on the bottom and stick a hose in the top on full blast?
nice car, you might consider starting the car to flush out the crap in the motor too. Of course dont run it out of fluid, flush it.

and dont pour the stuff on the ground dex-cool kills animals, you might have some angry squirrels shiz all over your purty (really nice!) car if you get them high on that dex-cool.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by samz28
nice car, you might consider starting the car to flush out the crap in the motor too. Of course dont run it out of fluid, flush it.
Define Flush

Originally Posted by samz28
and dont pour the stuff on the ground dex-cool kills animals, you might have some angry squirrels shiz all over your purty (really nice!) car if you get them high on that dex-cool.
thanks
Old 03-05-2004, 07:01 PM
Teching In

up .
Old 03-05-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldn't recommend putting the regular green stuff in the radiator, we do about 4 or 5 coolant replacements a day, and if the coolant(dex-cool) is changed every 1 to 1-1/2 year you will be ok... if you replace the radiator cap every time. I have had three cars that take the dex-cool and I changed it every year or year and a half w(radiator cap) and I have had no problems. The coolant was changed in my camaro 1 year ago or so and you can take a flashlight and see all the way to the bottom of the radiator. The GM caps last about a year maybe two until the words wear off or it seems to raise up in the middle.PS get a real dealer cap not a knockoff, it's cheap insurance. Just my .02