Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 Chevelle Conversion using Holley Parts... Road to LS-Fest

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1970 Chevelle Conversion using Holley Parts... Road to LS-Fest

Guess ill write a quick bit on my newest conversion, i already have a artic white 1967 Camaro with an ls1/t56 that i took last year and now i want my Chevelle there.

A little History on this Car......

My Father bought this car for my when i was 14. at the time it was the old nasty looking green and rust... mostly rust, over the next several years til i was 17 the car was getting restored and 98 percent of the body is aftermarket with the exception of the hood. It was before i started painting and a family friend painted it for me. i chose 96 viper gts blue and white. started out with a 350. however when we had it built we went with to big a cam so after a while we had decided we wanted something more, so i built my first engine.. a 468 Big block. mild cam and i liked it for a while til i got the 67 a couple years ago and did the ls conversion. i instantly knew the chevelle needed an ls in it. sold the 468 built a forged ls1 iron block and put it in the 67 camaro and took the 5.3 out of the 67 and now im working on putting it in the chevelle.

decided i wanted to go the extra mile on the chevelle seeing as its sentimental. so i went with some of the nicer things like...

Holley HP Efi Setup
Hooker Super Comp Ceramic Headers
Holley Billet Fuel Pump
Earls Fittings And Hose
Holley Swap Mounts
Holley Valve Covers..(By the way if someone from holley reads this u need to supply bolts with it for those of us who built the engine and dont have the original bolts. gaskets n grommets would help to)

my plan was also to get a polished weind intake also but funds are running short and i only have three weeks. so i went with a stocker.

Any way lets get to the pics.

This is the chevelle now

First shipment of parts

5.3 after cleaning the dirt dobbers nests out of the heads n cylinders

Installing the motor mounts

Modification i had to do to the motor mount to clear block

Heads.. reusing the gaskets

Second Shipment

Motor Installed

This is some mac mids for an fbody i was going to try to use but the wont work without some modification

Ecu Mounted up

Headers are mounted.. note to those who try these. my brake line distribution block was mounted on the frame. i believe it was factory.. the headers wont allow it to stay there i had to move it and i will post some pics but for now here is the point im at today

Old 08-23-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I had that same problem with the brake distro block. It is factory, I'm guessing you have a stock disc/ drum car? Inline tube make a line kit that relocates the block up near the master; I just ordered one this morning. We'll see how it goes.
Looks good though, hope you make it in time.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks man. yeah i mounted mine right up under the brake booster on the inner fender, almost out of sight but not quite. it wasnt to bad. is yours gonna be at the LS-Fest?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Should be. Need to address a few little things but I'm waiting on parts right now. Nothing big, just valve seals and a/c issues.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice. Yea that's my big holdup. Parts. It's the little things that always screw ya
Old 09-18-2011, 06:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Update after ls-fest,

Okay so its been a few since i updated, i did make it to the Ls-fest, pretty good time, Got the Chevelle Running about 2 days before which was good. so thursday night we loaded up the camper and i jumped in the chevelle and off we headed to bowling green, wasnt to bad but we changed out the rear end for a 12 bolt posi with 4.11 gears on a turbo 350 so thank god we live close cause i had to run about 45 all the way there. anyways we get about 10 minutes out and i start smelling gas, however the truck in front of me which is pulling our camper i know runs rich alot and i wasnt loosing any power at all so i didnt think to much of it. we get to bg and i decide to stop and investigate which turns out the nylon braided hose popped out of its holder and landed right on the header, which in turn burnt a hole thru the fuel line and started spraying the headers with gas, lucky i didnt blow my *** off. ran to autozone and bought a double barb and some hose clamps and picked up some stainless braid from the holley trailer on friday morning. other than that the weekend was pretty good. heres some pics of the last of the build

also i dont understand why noone camps out at lsfest, cause then u can join us in the LS-Fest Beer Pong Championship

Quick Reply: 1970 Chevelle Conversion using Holley Parts... Road to LS-Fest