Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo 5.3 in a 67 chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo 5.3 in a 67 chevelle

I picked up a 5.3 yesterday with harness,PCM,all the accessories. $600 was the best I could find and I didn't want to wait a couple months to save a couple hundred bucks. The plan is to leave the motor stock except for an ls6 cam and springs. Do I need to change the pushrods? Planning on using hp tuners or mega squirt (which ever is easier)and a 70mm turbo and 60lb/hr injectors. Hopefully someone can hook me up with the baseline tune. I will have a wideband This is my HS car that has a BBC and Muncie in but is boring to drive so it needs a change plus some better fuel mileage. I saw that people are doing this with a stock truck intake, but should I get an ls1 intake? My harness is a truck harness so do they sell injectors that have the truck plugs on them that work with the ls1 rails? I also need a throttle body, MAF, This isn't my first build I have a tube chassis duster with a 582 BBC that is my track car so the fabrication isnt the hard part, its learning how to tune it,
thanks
Jason
Old 08-26-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would get some hardend pushrods and a new timing
chain to be safe. the truck intake is fine. I would
take the ecu down to
synergy motorsports in
fremont and have rick
baseline it for you so you can drive it to get a dyno tune.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. I think I'm going to use hp tuners and have lt1 cut the harness up. For 100 they load a stock tune without vats and the extra o2s to get the car fired up. How hard is it to use hp tuners to get the first tune on it?
Old 08-27-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get better push rods and great springs.if the engine has more then 50k on it get some comp trunnion upgrade bearings for the stock rockers.for $425 you can get a custom cam that will maximize your turbo.a truck intake is better then a ls1 intake,a ls6 is the best stock intake for $300.you can get a ls alum intake (bbk, weiand)used for $300 or less,boost friendly.you will need a good fuel system .check the boost section for better info.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

I would do some research on the hp tuner and EFI, good info on this site comparing the two.

Quick Reply: turbo 5.3 in a 67 chevelle