New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie seeking help with heater core

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie seeking help with heater core

I have a 1998 Camaro Z28. This past weekend, the car started having smoke coming out air vent, anti-freeze smell in the car/fog on the windshield. After some research, it looks like the heater core is gone.

I am planning on replacing the heater core myself, for the simple reason that I can't afford to take it to an auto shop right now.

I'd really appreciated if anyone can provide any links to "how to...", or any diagrams or pictures etc. Well, more like "how to... for dummies".

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should be very easy.

Last time I checked you can access the core via the glove box. Open and press the inside lip in and there are tabs and then it drops the box down and should have access to the panels. Using various tools there are screws/bolts that get the panel off.

The hard issue is getting back to the passanger side fire wall in the engine bay as you need to disconnect the heater hoses (follow them back from the strut tower), and there should be a "clamp" that as a sorta hidden screw that will allow you to pull it out.

Basically replace with a new one and properly bleed the system LS1 style. I had mine go out on a 1994 z28 and if I recall there should not be many extra or odd steps.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot for the feed back. I will try my luck this weekend.