Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This might be DUMB, but can you tune a fuel gauge....LOL

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This might be DUMB, but can you tune a fuel gauge....LOL

Reason I ask is becuase I finally got around to wiring it up to the Ram with the Camaro cluster and the dodge fuel sender.

I noticed the sender wires to the computer, then the computer sends the signal to the clucter through the diagnostic wire..this single wire also runs the oil pressure, tach, and temp gauges...all in one wire.

Problem is the dodge sender operates at;

Full 10 ohms
Emty 65 ohms

Camaro cluster

Full 270 ohms
Emty 30 ohms

I added a 200ohm inline resister to make my gauge look like its full..LOL

Now at a full tank I have 3/4 cluster reading, as the tank starts to empty the gauge goes up to an indicated FULL, even though the tank is at 1/2 capacity

I think i'm going to ditch the 200ohm resister for a 150 ohm to make it read more in the middle and mainly to give me an idea of where the level is at even though it reads backwards.

I didn't know if hp tuners or any other tuning software got into the cluster readings for any reason..if so..AWESOME, if not, maybe I'll swap in a Nova tank or something
Old 08-23-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is an older video before I wired up the fuel gauge and blocked off all those warning lights....sorry for poor video, new onw will be made after i get it all figured out.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhh2t40Jdiw
Old 08-24-2011, 09:22 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
Reason I ask is becuase I finally got around to wiring it up to the Ram with the Camaro cluster and the dodge fuel sender.

I noticed the sender wires to the computer, then the computer sends the signal to the clucter through the diagnostic wire..this single wire also runs the oil pressure, tach, and temp gauges...all in one wire.

Problem is the dodge sender operates at;

Full 10 ohms
Emty 65 ohms

Camaro cluster

Full 270 ohms
Emty 30 ohms

I added a 200ohm inline resister to make my gauge look like its full..LOL

Now at a full tank I have 3/4 cluster reading, as the tank starts to empty the gauge goes up to an indicated FULL, even though the tank is at 1/2 capacity

I think i'm going to ditch the 200ohm resister for a 150 ohm to make it read more in the middle and mainly to give me an idea of where the level is at even though it reads backwards.

I didn't know if hp tuners or any other tuning software got into the cluster readings for any reason..if so..AWESOME, if not, maybe I'll swap in a Nova tank or something
we can do that for you
Old 08-24-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can you reverse it as well to read full when full instead of the opposite
Old 08-26-2011, 03:04 AM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

it's a pretty simple fix honestly... you just have to invert the gauge output and adjust the sender volume table to get it reading correctly. From the factory fbody's are off even. I went to a gas station completely empty and put 1gal in at a time to calibrate the volume table and now my fuel gauge doesn't just fall straight to empty when it get's to half a tank like they do stock! When it reads 1/2 it's still got half a tank!
Old 08-26-2011, 02:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSxPwrDZ
it's a pretty simple fix honestly... you just have to invert the gauge output and adjust the sender volume table to get it reading correctly. From the factory fbody's are off even. I went to a gas station completely empty and put 1gal in at a time to calibrate the volume table and now my fuel gauge doesn't just fall straight to empty when it get's to half a tank like they do stock! When it reads 1/2 it's still got half a tank!

Nerd !!
Old 08-27-2011, 01:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Frost
Nerd !!
LOL you may be onto something
Old 08-27-2011, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSxPwrDZ
i remember my bird stranded me when I was 16 after having it for 2 weeks. Went from 1/3 tank to empty in 11 miles.

Quick Reply: This might be DUMB, but can you tune a fuel gauge....LOL