Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed Heads, Oil in Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed Heads, Oil in Cylinder?

Didn't see this coming. Bought the long block (50K miles according to seller) a couple months ago. Originally had no plans to remove the heads. Decided to have them at least cleaned at a local shop. Was going to have my Comp trunion upgrade and a set of springs installed, then new head gaskets. I had planned on doing that and the following, cam, push rods, timing chain, oil pump, all other gaskets, and all sensors. Short of Katech rod bolts, I planned on leaving the bottom end alone. Now this. Is this the sign of big trouble? The motor has been on a stand since I received it and it sat upside down for a while if that matters.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is it clean looking oil? Alot of people squirt a little oil down the spark plug holes if they know a motors gonna be sitting up for a long time. I'm told it keeps the rings from sticking.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Doesn't look any different than the oil that was in the pan.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

could it be that the crud on that piston got into the oil from it being transported?

I put oil in my cylinders (more'n that..) while my engine sits up.. even after cleaning the pistons the oil still has tinged a little from the carbon still on the pistons.

if you sop it up with a rag does it look that dark on the rag too?

oil like that's only gonna come through valve stem seals as far as I can see.. 'less you've had the motor upside down?

yea, I just re-read what you said..

The motor has been on a stand since I received it and it sat upside down for a while if that matters.
how long is "a while?" hour? day? week? 2 weeks? You put an entire oil pan full of oil against the bottom of the pistons.. if that's all that leaked through I'm impressed.

I had my LQ4 upside down for about an hour with the oil drained and I had oil coming out of my valve covers.

Last edited by DarkFox118; 08-24-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
could it be that the crud on that piston got into the oil from it being transported?

I put oil in my cylinders (more'n that..) while my engine sits up.. even after cleaning the pistons the oil still has tinged a little from the carbon still on the pistons.

if you sop it up with a rag does it look that dark on the rag too?

oil like that's only gonna come through valve stem seals as far as I can see.. 'less you've had the motor upside down?

yea, I just re-read what you said..

how long is "a while?" hour? day? week? 2 weeks? You put an entire oil pan full of oil against the bottom of the pistons.. if that's all that leaked through I'm impressed.

I had my LQ4 upside down for about an hour with the oil drained and I had oil coming out of my valve covers.
The motor sat upside down for a day or two only after it had been drained and the oil pan removed. That said, even after draining it oil would drip out from various places every time the angle of the engine was changed.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

What does the cylinder wall look like in that cylinder?
Old 08-25-2011, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

You can thank the PCV system for that.

The engine gets hot and the unburnt oil just cokes on the piston.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you kidding???? The engine sat upside down and you are wondering why oil is in a cylinder????? I hope you are joking.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by O2Form
Are you kidding???? The engine sat upside down and you are wondering why oil is in a cylinder????? I hope you are joking.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

Otherwise don't worry about it clean it up and install and have fun
Old 08-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Lol if it was upside the oil came through I open vavle in head. Rotate engine, check cylinder wall for BIG scratches. If none there you're golden. Just rotate engine to get piston TDC and you can clean the carbon build up on pistons. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jasons50
Lol if it was upside the oil came through I open vavle in head. Rotate engine, check cylinder wall for BIG scratches. If none there you're golden. Just rotate engine to get piston TDC and you can clean the carbon build up on pistons. Good luck.
I hope you are joking too.............
Old 08-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

Not so sure why anyone would (sarcastically) think I'm joking. I opened the engine and ONE cylinder had oil in it. The engine sat upside down after being drained. I'm no master engine builder but this seemed odd. I don't want to be so stupid to just ignore it and then discover a huge problem upon start up. At this point the engine's been rotated a few times, everything looks good, still no clue how the oil got in there. Possibly through an intake port during removal or disassembly? Going to clean everything up and put it back together.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Banned

Are you kidding? You had the engine UP SIDE DOWN, where do you think the oil is gonna go? Let me spell it out for you, the oil went from the bottom of the engine past the piston rings to the top of the engine. Thats what happens when you trurn something up side down, we aint in ZERO gravity ya know. Just where do you think you are?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Even when you drain the oil you still have a LOT of oil in the systems and components in the engine. After I drained my oil I turned it upside down and the bottom of the pistons were FULL of oil. Mine was only upside down for about half an hour to 1 hour, I rotated it back over and oil came out of the heads and ran out of the valve cover down the side of the engine.

engines are built to sit upright.

long story short, I wouldn't worry about it, clean it up, make sure the engine looks good otherwise, continue onwards. Just my .02.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jasons50
Originally Posted by O2Form
I hope you are joking too.............
Was something wrong with what he said?

Quick Reply: Removed Heads, Oil in Cylinder?