Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My lt1 vs unknown ls1

Old 08-24-2011, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My lt1 vs unknown ls1

I just thought I would share my recent encounter with a trans am last night. I just recently picked up a 1995 z28 6spd from the original owner. Super clean, very well maintained, lightly modded lt1 car (cai, bigger tb, 160 thermo, catback, and tune). The only reason I considered it was how amazing the car looked, drove, and the price of course All I have owned have been built ls cars. I figure the ol lt1 would make for a nice dd. Anyway, I am driving down the highway last night and a car comes flying up on my bumper. I could tell it was a firebird based on its headlights. I moved over to the right lane to let him by. He pulls next to me and I could tell it was a ls1 car. I shook my head thinking no way. I really started to regret getting this lt1. Im thinking I am about to get wasted. I finally decided to catch up with him and just give it a shot. We slowed to about 60mph. I threw it down in 3rd and we both hit it instantly. I nailed 4th and look over to see his front nose at my door. The front of his car never moved down. Im guessing he was an auto. Anyway, I stayed a half a car in front of him until I let out at the top of 4th. He stayed in it and flew off into the distance, never to see him again. Needless to say I was pretty excited to see the ol lt1 hold its own. Im not an idiot. I know his car was obviously stock. I just thought it was a good clean run and loved that I am able to hold my own vs a stock ls1.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most of the time it takes full bolt-on's for most living LT1 cars out there to beat a stock LS1, but good kill

I've been involved with multiple races with bolt-on LS1's and have had most of the races come out in my favor, but anything can happen on the street. The M6 must make for at least a fun roll car
Old 08-24-2011, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Most of the time it takes full bolt-on's for most living LT1 cars out there to beat a stock LS1, but good kill

I've been involved with multiple races with bolt-on LS1's and have had most of the races come out in my favor, but anything can happen on the street. The M6 must make for at least a fun roll car
I completely agree. Ive owned h/c ls1 f-bodys, bolt on/n2o zo6, 408 d1sc c5, I am very familiar with the ls motor. The story was just to point out that anything can happen on the street and that I was totally surprised by the outcome.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StrokerLS1
I am very familiar with the ls motor. The story was just to point out that anything can happen on the street and that I was totally surprised by the outcome.
Not doubting it by any means! Like I said, I bet the M6 makes it a fun roll car and I wish I had an f-body as my daily driver!
Old 08-24-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On the LS1's the auto isnt that big of a difference compared to the manuals, ofcourse as long as they are at the right MPH when they hit it from a roll. The LT1's are a different story. A friend of mine had a auto LT1 with intake and exhaust and me a manual LT1 with the same mods and he got pulled on bad and that is pretty consistan in the races ive down with auto's and manuals. Either way good job keeping up OP.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

Nice kill
Old 08-24-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Nice kill man... I bet that made ur day lol
Old 08-24-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

always great to run into some random car that will run you. its all i look for in a cruise around town. nice kill guy had to have thought the race was over before it began.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by autogeek23
always great to run into some random car that will run you. its all i look for in a cruise around town. nice kill guy had to have thought the race was over before it began.
Thanks guys. It is probably why he kept going! He stayed in it until I could see his tail lights anymore. He was going for the win no matter what.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by StrokerLS1
Thanks guys. It is probably why he kept going! He stayed in it until I could see his tail lights anymore. He was going for the win no matter what.
I bet there is a kill story somewhere on here about the other guys side of the story.. haha I can see it now.. Murdered a LT1 F-body. We were rolling down the highway at 60mph and then he hit it first and got the jump but then all of a sudden it was like he hit the brakes and I came around him like a speeding bullet and just kept on going to show this fool he didn't have **** on my monster LS1.. Damn slow *** LT1 Cars!!! He was probably racing mystic!! LOL

Good kill bro!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by odarabla
I bet there is a kill story somewhere on here about the other guys side of the story.. haha I can see it now.. Murdered a LT1 F-body. We were rolling down the highway at 60mph and then he hit it first and got the jump but then all of a sudden it was like he hit the brakes and I came around him like a speeding bullet and just kept on going to show this fool he didn't have **** on my monster LS1.. Damn slow *** LT1 Cars!!! He was probably racing mystic!! LOL

Good kill bro!!!
Thanks. Ill be going to the track this Friday. Ill post up some times when I get back. This should be interesting...
Old 08-25-2011, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Good kill
Old 08-26-2011, 11:49 PM

Good race! This is exactly why I'm always up for a race, even if I should lose on paper.

How'd you do at the track?
Old 08-27-2011, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

XD well if any of you ever run into me on the highway im F***ed. i drive in OD on the highway to save gas, so i know i couldnt keep up
Old 08-27-2011, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by odarabla

Good kill bro!!!
If it was Mystic, he would have seen the Lucas Oil Stabilizer sticker on the side window.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Good race! This is exactly why I'm always up for a race, even if I should lose on paper.

How'd you do at the track?
The track was terrible. I went to Reynolds Ga which is in the middle of the state. I usually can get close to .5 sec and 2-3 more mph there, but this was not the case this time out. Track temp was 122 when we got there. I waited for it to cool off a little but still couldn't get the car to hook. Best 60' was 2.3. I tried everything to get it hook. Best time was 14.10 at 103. That was with a 2.5 60ft. I know with that trap and terrible 60ft the car definitely has 13's in it. Ill be going to Atlanta Dragway soon since that is where I normally go. Hopefully on a cooler night it'll see 13's. On a side note I did weigh my car. 3385 without me in it, 1/4 tank, No weight reduction at all. I though it was pretty light for a F-car

Last edited by StrokerLS1; 08-29-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Banned

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but a 6 speed with a good driver vs an auto can usually determine the outcome of a race, just like a 6 speed with a not so good driver with an auto, and miracles can happen. Like the two times I beat a 2011 Mustang GT with my mostly stock LS1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5CXXimZmKI

Search this Thread