Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Smoking Problem....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Smoking Problem....

Hey guys new to the forum, need some help.

I have a 2001 camaro Z28 that has a smoking issue. It has been off the road for while with a "smoke" issue when I bought it. Flushed fuel system, cleaned injectors, changed oil, started up fine. Drove .5 miles and blew a high pressure power steering line, expected because it has supposedly been sitting, expected some dry rot on hoses and such. Had the line replaced but now the motor is smoking from the drivers side, low on the block behind the power steering pump, around the manifold area tough to pinpoint though.

When the line blew it obviously soaked everything and began smoking immediately. However after getting that fixed the problem hasn't "burned off". It is smoking just as bad if not worse after 15 miles and 30 min run time. The smoke leaks out along the drivers side of the hood and at the corner of the windshield. After 10 minutes running it is noticeable enough at a redlight to catch some worried stares. The smoke is not incredibly thick and white-greyish in color. It smells burnt but not like oil. looking down the side of the motor it is all a little grimey from the power steering fluid spraying... I'm wondering if the previous owner was right. any thoughts?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:43 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech!

When you first drove the car before the hose burst, was it smoking?

If not, the smoke is probably the sprayed steering fluid still burning off. Keep driving it.

So, the previous owner said the car had a "smoke" problem? Where was this smoke coming from? The engine compartment or out through the exhaust?
Old 08-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Teching In

thanks for the quick response!

The previous owner described the smoke as coming from the same spot, driver's side manifold area, drivers side of hood. I literally started the car and it fired up and idled so well I decided to roll it down the street. Came to a stop sign, went to pull a u-turn and the power steering pump started screaming, 10 sec later, smoke. I really wonder if it even had enough time to start smoking, don't even think it was completely warmed up. I was kinda thinking a very slow leak for the valve cover but didnt want to put ideas in anyone's head. Looking for a fresh perspective.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

To help pin point where it's coming from I would suggest getting the car up in the air. With the car cooled off spray simple green or purple power over everything on that side of the engine and let it sit. Depending on how bad the grime is you might have to hit it with a brush to break it up. Blast is off with a hose. You might have to do this a few times to get it good and clean. Take a blow gun and blow everything dry.

Check all your fluid levels, oil, power steering etc to make sure they are full. With it still up in the air start the car and let it run. (safely on jack stands or what have you) Put some card board under it to see if you have any drips coming off.

This is going to be the best way to pin point where it's coming from. If it is still power steering fluid burning off this will help that. Let us know what you find out.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:27 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

What he said^

Perhaps the valve cover has a leak.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help again, cleaned it up a bit and ran it on jacks.

The engine didn't smoke while sitting but i did see oil dripping underneath so i'm assuming it is being blown onto the exhaust while driving.

This isn't my car but it's the best I could find to show where the drips were coming from, they slowly accumulate at the back of this plate seems higher rpm increase the rate. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails A Smoking Problem....-pic2eng.jpg