New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt Squeeling, Need some advise!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 05:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Belt Squeeling, Need some advise!!

Sunday my water pump froze up and i had to install a new one. Installation went very well and i put a new belt on as well.

The next day and since then the belt has been squeeling. It didnt do it at all before the water pump so i figure its got something to do with that, but i just cant figure out what.

I have the stock pulleys on so my belt is just the GM recommended part.

Thanks ahead of time
Old 03-04-2004, 06:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try sprayin some brake parts cleaner on all of your pullies and the surface of the belt. More than likely you got coolant on some pullies when swapping the pumps. Also the parts stores sell Anti squeel for issues like yours.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:25 PM

You may also need to align your belts. If they are off by just a tad it will do this, but then again it could also be the outside temp. Things do contract and tolerances are looser when it's cold. If it stops doing this come summer or after the belt is warm from the engine, than this is the culprit. You can use belt dressing or bar soap. Those quiet down the belt screech. I would also agree on the possibility of coolant being on the surafce to.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Well its pretty warm here right now. Its 72 right now and its 8:00.

This site is great!!! So much info and nice people it amazes me everytime i post a question!!

Thanks guys ill try the belt dressing
Old 03-06-2004, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

try wd40, works AWESOME!! i had to do that to mine already. spray it on the inside of the belt. garuntee it will work!
Old 03-06-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah man I feel your pain. I went through the same thing 2 weeks ago after my cam install. Might want to check 2 things. Check to see if the altenator pulley is squeaking. The lighest squeak turning it by hand is like multiplied by like 20 when the car is running. Also might want to check the idler pulley. When my altenator pulley froze it put a drag on everything else causing the water pump to go out and the idler pulley. I replaced all three and squeak went away.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was going to say if teh water pump pulley stopped moving and the belt dragged across it it could have stretched teh belt ever so slightly to cause the squeek.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:43 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

It could just be a bad belt. Some are better than others.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Rained here in Phoenix (finally) on Thursday and I drove home through the deluge. Next day, there is squealing/squeaking noise from the engine, especially when giving any gas. I pop the hood, sounds like it's the serpentine belt so I liberally spray belt dressing on it. Squeal stops, but for like 20 minutes! More belt dressing, squeal stops but comes back again. Okay, so maybe its just the 40,000 mile old belt, right? How could my pulleys be out of align from driving in the rain? I think I'll get a Goodyear Gatorback, and see what's what. And if by chance it is a pulley, would I be better off just buying a new underdrive set from the aftermarket? Or maybe I'll just try WD-40 like 30th t/a! Ü
Old 03-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

my old belt used to squeek after it rained. i just put belt dressing and it work. just i got tired of putting belt dressing so bought a new belt. no squeeks after that
Old 03-08-2004, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to replace a belt. Goodwrench explained, if the belt is hot and water gets in the groves, it glazes. Running the belt in operation just adds to the problem. I tried the home remedies and they were bandaide repairs. To the fix the problem, head to your nearest auto parts store and buy a new belt.
Once it glazes, any dampness in the air will make it squeal and sound cheap.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Temporary fix with WD-40 worked like 30th t/a suggested, squeal stopped. Tracked down a Goodyear gatorback finally for just under $25 and slapped it on. Examined old belt and it was cracking and needed replacement after 40,000 miles.