Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

rear is leaking?

Old 08-26-2011, 07:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear is leaking?

I just purchased a 2004 cts-v with 60kmiles. Whenever i back the car out of the garage i have a small puddle of diff fluid on the ground . I have jacked the car up mutiple times now and can not tell where it is coming from . Not sure how i can fix this. Any info would help!!! Thanks for looking!!
Old 08-26-2011, 08:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Right in the middle? Axle seals?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

There's a recall on it, it's one of the seals. Dealer should fix it for free.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

I don't think 04's were on the recall. Mine wasn't and it's most likely a pinion seal that you wil probably have to catch on your own dime.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most dealers did so many I would just take it to them anyways and tell them ur seals need to be replaced. It calls for quite a few hours so it's not really easy if you wanted to do it on ur own.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Teching In

It could simply be the vent, as well, a normal problem. I would wipe down the differential, drive it around, and then finding the source is a bit easier to track. Have you recently filled or changed the fluid? If it is a bit over, you will get fluid out of the vent and some times via the axle seals.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:35 AM
Launching!

+1 on the diff vent tube TSB. If you get it real hot by driving it hard, and the diff vent tube TSB hadn't been done, it will leak. Small puddle on garage floor...been there done that.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Teching In

I have not had a dealer look at it yet and besides im not a fan of the local caddy dealer. I have wiped it down before but it doesnt look like it is coming from the axle seals.. Where is this vent tube located if it were installed? And is it hard to install if needed? I have notice driving a longer period of time causes a larger puddle to form..I have changed the diff fluid since owning the car, and im almost certain its almost drained out ...Thanks for the info everyone!!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeavyH20
It could simply be the vent, as well, a normal problem. I would wipe down the differential, drive it around, and then finding the source is a bit easier to track. Have you recently filled or changed the fluid? If it is a bit over, you will get fluid out of the vent and some times via the axle seals.
^Yes, that^

Brakekleen the diff so it's nice and clean and then you can tell where the leak is coming from. If it's from the vent, no biggie. Like Raven said, it may be the pinion seal.....then it's your dime. Check the axle seals too.

Pics would help us diagnose easier.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Atleast the rear diff is fairly easy to work on.

I've got a hellacious trans leak coming from the tailsection. It drips on the exhaust pipe and smokes like a chimney at stop lights....
Old 09-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Teching In

I used brake cleaner when i changed the diff fluid. The drive shaft has some build up also but the pinion seal doesnt seem to be leaking . the exhaust heat sheild also has build up on the front portion..If the vent tube is located on the top i could see that being the issue...I have looked all over and havent seen build up or it dripping ...Every morning i just find a puddle...I need to find out what this vent tube is all about..I was told by the previous owner that the rear seals were all replaced...I need to go through all of my paper work.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hueynavy
I used brake cleaner when i changed the diff fluid. The drive shaft has some build up also but the pinion seal doesnt seem to be leaking . the exhaust heat sheild also has build up on the front portion..If the vent tube is located on the top i could see that being the issue...I have looked all over and havent seen build up or it dripping ...Every morning i just find a puddle...I need to find out what this vent tube is all about..I was told by the previous owner that the rear seals were all replaced...I need to go through all of my paper work.
If there's buildup on the exhaust shield, your pinion seal needs replaced. If there's fluid on the diff (or that's the area of the puddle) then you'll have to see if it's coming from the top part of the diff. If so...vent. If not, axle seals.

If you've already brake kleened it off, you should check right after a short trip or the very next day to see where the fluid is coming from.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear is leaking?