Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Poor mans slipper clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Poor mans slipper clutch

has anyone tryedto shim there non adjustable clutch psi plateto the flywheel to try and drop the clamping psi thus getting a lit bit of slip out of the clutch. To help get a car off the line?
Old 08-26-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

I don't know a ton about the physics of a clutch but what would stop it from slipping all the time then?
Old 08-26-2011, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
I don't know a ton about the physics of a clutch but what would stop it from slipping all the time then?
friction and all i am looking to do is soften up the clamping froce a tad.it can be done
Old 08-26-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

interesting, never heard of anyone doing that
Old 08-26-2011, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

I think that's a great idea, and I would love to hear from someone who has done it.

I've had good luck in other cars with Centerforce dual friction clutches having some give, but I've never tried a Centerforce in an LS application. Also, never tried the Centerforce with more than about 500 RWHP in a 3200 lb car.

Keep us posted man, that's a killer idea.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neat
I think that's a great idea, and I would love to hear from someone who has done it.

I've had good luck in other cars with Centerforce dual friction clutches having some give, but I've never tried a Centerforce in an LS application. Also, never tried the Centerforce with more than about 500 RWHP in a 3200 lb car.

Keep us posted man, that's a killer idea.
I did, didnt end up well, as I now have a new motor.... And my car is less than 3200 lbs...

CenterForce sucks.....

I dont think regular discs have enough friction to work like this, however if you could get a true sintered iron disc, maybe....
Old 08-29-2011, 12:07 PM
FormerVendor

If you have a ford long pattern on your flywheel we can set you up with a set pressured long style pressure plate and a low coeffecient sintered iron disc.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Billy M
If you have a ford long pattern on your flywheel we can set you up with a set pressured long style pressure plate and a low coeffecient sintered iron disc.
Billy i have a http://www.kaltechtuning.com/index.p...roducts_id=200

if you have a better setup that will help me 60 foot better i am all ears sir.

Rob

Also here are vid's of the problems i am up against.. here is the car leaving okay
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...k/2f711037.mp4

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...k/e69655e9.mp4

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...k/d0e00c5c.mp4

And this last one is me fighting the setup with new found power

Badd SS i have read that it should be a true sintered iron disc.and is this type of setup what you were trying before yours let go??? and it sucks but i thought u and me were going to be fighting for some good sbe 346 times
Old 08-30-2011, 01:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 98blueSScamaro
Billy i have a http://www.kaltechtuning.com/index.p...roducts_id=200

if you have a better setup that will help me 60 foot better i am all ears sir.

Rob

Also here are vid's of the problems i am up against.. here is the car leaving okay
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...k/2f711037.mp4

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...k/e69655e9.mp4

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...k/d0e00c5c.mp4

And this last one is me fighting the setup with new found power
Based on what I saw on your flywheel it does not look like you have a ford long pattern. So you would need to have a machine shop install the pattern for a 11" ford long. Then you could use our 360535 long style pressure plate and a 5004-07 LCF Sintered Iron Disc.

If you could find the money you'd be better served going with our Soft Lok unit p/n 4914-00-07.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

using a shim.... rob, weren't you with chris at last year st. Louis And saw how that worked for me

anyone dose it with the hydraulic, a good adjustable electronic valve and a timer. I know some evo guys bought the stuff and got it set this up last year. I never heard how it worked.

Breaking in my RXT, I like it alot so far.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
using a shim.... rob, weren't you with chris at last year st. Louis And saw how that worked for me

anyone dose it with the hydraulic, a good adjustable electronic valve and a timer. I know some evo guys bought the stuff and got it set this up last year. I never heard how it worked.

Breaking in my RXT, I like it alot so far.
I read about the ford guys shimming there but billy cleared that up with me on how they get it to work.

and you shim your clutch for the LSx shoot out. and i will have to ask the guys at ams about the setup your talking about
Old 08-31-2011, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Nice vid's - I see the car has hoosiers on it now

Rob I don't know how grabby the Tex is or if you have a tick master......but have you tried to move the engagement/release point around? I found giving the rod more length and moving the engagement up gave me a little me a little more pedal - and made it easier to slow down the hit. Makes it easier to shift too - just bump the clutch and your done. My Monster is stupid grabby and the car doesn't really start moving until it's released fully.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by nocooler
Nice vid's - I see the car has hoosiers on it now

Rob I don't know how grabby the Tex is or if you have a tick master......but have you tried to move the engagement/release point around? I found giving the rod more length and moving the engagement up gave me a little me a little more pedal - and made it easier to slow down the hit. Makes it easier to shift too - just bump the clutch and your done. My Monster is stupid grabby and the car doesn't really start moving until it's released fully.
i think i just need to bit the bullet and go slipper if i stick with m6

Quick Reply: Poor mans slipper clutch