Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced 2 Mustangs tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raced 2 Mustangs tonight.

Ever since I bought my 06 Duramax, my Z06 has been getting less and less street use and more garage time. I'm kinda disappointed. I like pissing off all the Vette purists who think if you drive your car in the rain, it will melt.

Tonight was the first time I've had it out in a week, which doesnt seem like long, but it is to me (considering I put almost 5k miles on it in 3 months).

I mario andretti it around a on ramp with no traffic anywhere in sight and head onto the high way. I'm cruising doing 70mph down the highway. Up ahead, I can see two different sets up tail lights in the middle lane. First one looked like a 99-04 Mustang. I liked what I was seeing. I'm hoping its a Cobra. I come up closer, and sure enough, Its a GT. In front of him was a SN95 Cobra. I havent really had many races with the new setup (or good ones at least). I was more interested in seeing what the cobra was capable of.

Anyway, I'm still in the passing lane in the far left. The GT sees my headlights, and quickly turns out into the far right lane, drops it down in gears and gets on it. Theres no traffic out (at least close to us). He starts to roll out, and I down shift and begin persuit, mean while, cobra driver has no clue WTF is going on, so he's just chilling back there. By 4th gear I was walking past him.

We slow back down, and the Cobra catches back up. Im in the far left lane, cobra is in the middle, and the GT is in the far right. We start at a 55 roll. PERFECT!!

I hear both of them down shift, so I drop it into second. The Cobra starts the beep sequence. After the 3rd beep, were off! I instantly start pulling on them. By 130 I had 10 cars on them. It was hard to tell, but they were back there.

I kinda thought this was how it was going to end up, but you just never know what they have. They could have been sleepers with ******* turbo 4v's under the hood or something crazy like that.

Once we slow back down, we exchange thumbs up. Both cars looked pretty clean, and I'm going to assume they were just bolt-on cars. I'm assuming they were friends too, since they were following eachother and not racing prior to me coming up on them, and getting off at the same exit.

Eitherway, it made for a fun night out. Glad I woke my car up from sleeping in the garage.

I'm really hoping to get a good run in with a GT500 or modded 03/04 Cobra before the end of the year. I'd love to see how my Z06 will stand up against different modded ones. Whether its KB or pullied... Or whatever.. Just want to see what the outcome will be... Since I chose this over a Whipple'd 04 Cobra vert.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

nice dude, usually when i see a vette i just go "****" b/c my cars pretty much stock and i doubt a c5 or c6 owner would even notice me, but a c4 i dont really mind
( most ppl i see with vettes seem kinda snooty)
Old 08-27-2011, 12:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nick V.
nice dude, usually when i see a vette i just go "****" b/c my cars pretty much stock and i doubt a c5 or c6 owner would even notice me, but a c4 i dont really mind
^ This. Or they are 55+. They drive me bat **** crazy.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah... I even get that too... I'm a little younger and I decided I didnt want a stock car anymore, so local Corvette purists dont like me since i'm "ruining it".

I was at a car show a few weeks ago and some *** hole corvette club member came up to me and told me I ruined the car by modifying it. Another one told me I shouldnt drive it in the rain because it will also ruin it.

I am a former f-body owner. I've owned 5 total. I respect anything fast, and dont underestimate anything. I laughed at all those corvette club douche bags last weekend when they were all at a show and panicing because it started to rain and their cars were outside.

I yelled out "OH NO!!! ITS GOING TO MELT!!" to the guy who was ripping on me for driving it in the rain. I laughed.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Yea man..I have to agree with you on that. The Vette has just to much of a weight and aerodynamic advantage..takes a lot of extra Hp and torque to compensate for that.

OP, nice run man. However you just have to much for a bolt-on Mustang. Anyway, just like you said though, you never know with Mustangs. You could easily get into a run with a KB or Turbo'd 4V. You take your chances. I think those cars would be a better run for your Vette.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Nice Kills.

We have a bunch of vetts here. A lot of modded ones and the typical vette owners who are old, nothing done to it, wear there vette jackets/hats/shirts...

Whats funny is they all be at car shows and the two groups stay separate.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Nice Kills.

We have a bunch of vetts here. A lot of modded ones and the typical vette owners who are old, nothing done to it, wear there vette jackets/hats/shirts...

Whats funny is they all be at car shows and the two groups stay separate.
Yea...I go to some car shows around the area. It is definitely a very diverse group who own Vettes. They almost have little "clicks" inside of the main "click". I have seen the type with the hat and jackets also. I especially love the matching chair and sun umbrella option.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if i ever get a vette, im going to drive the s**t out of it

can you say speeding tickets?
Old 08-27-2011, 01:03 AM
Teching In

if i ever get a vette, im going to drive the s**t out of it

can you say speeding tickets?
Ohh man..That ZR1 would be a blast to drive! Even to get a ride in one, I would give up my left nut.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MACH32V
Ohh man..That ZR1 would be a blast to drive! Even to get a ride in one, I would give up my left nut.
/\ this is the funniest **** i have read on LS1 tech. and yeah i believe thats what you have to pay to get in one. XD
Old 08-27-2011, 01:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by MACH32V
Yea...I go to some car shows around the area. It is definitely a very diverse group who own Vettes. They almost have little "clicks" inside of the main "click". I have seen the type with the hat and jackets also. I especially love the matching chair and sun umbrella option.
Seen the chair and crap also. I think funny when there wives are dressed up the same way.

Oh I give a left nut to own a few cars. Hell maybe the right also.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:22 AM
Banned

fuck that.... I make every c5 owner nervous with the 2nd gear downshift
Old 08-27-2011, 02:01 AM
Staging Lane

Nervous your gonna crash into them!lol jk
Old 08-27-2011, 02:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by regal3.4
fuck that.... I make every c5 owner nervous with the 2nd gear downshift
i have a A4
Old 08-27-2011, 04:36 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agree those vette guys drive me nuts, treat it like its something so rare, never go over 50 mph in it,and think a drop of rain will wreck it lol, i drive anything i own alot,and then when they go to sell them they ask some crazy high price for them, i saw a 99 the other day and the owner wanted 26 grand for it, bone stock lol,
Old 08-27-2011, 06:10 AM
On The Tree

I see vette's all the time on the road; and the only one that has ever wanted to play was a C4

The rest are like everybody has said; older men with tacky jewelry and sometimes an accompanying wife wearing matching outfits.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The vette owners here have competition for the old fart award.....Shelby owners. Same clicks and they each ride out in their vette/shelby posse. LMAO! Kinda like old guys with hot young chicks.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

I want ZR1

But I will leave the outfits and lawn chairs to the ones sitting beside their stationary cars while I'm heading down or around the track
Old 08-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
The vette owners here have competition for the old fart award.....Shelby owners. Same clicks and they each ride out in their vette/shelby posse. LMAO! Kinda like old guys with hot young chicks.
Yea..I agree. It is sad that cars like the Vette or Shelby are not "affordable" enough where anyone could buy one. Most of us have a choice of owning a house (big mortgage) or owning a high priced performance car.(or do both and have debt for the rest of your life)

I think many owners of cars such as the Vettes and Shelbys are older and have lived their life already and made their money. These cars probably have always appealed to them while they were young, but they also could never afford one at that time. Eventually the mid-life crisis hits and they dump the old wife for a young hot chick, ****-can the Minivan and then buy a Vette or Shelby.

That is the only logic I can come with...if you want to call it logical..
Old 08-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Teching In

dam OP! you seem to be coming up on alot of cash lately....Z06, H/C, duramax diesel... wtf???