Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Identify this head

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Identify this head

Long story short, I recently purchased a 01 Camaro SS that came with a good amount of bolt on's through an auto auction. As I was checking the car out, I noticed the head casting where shaved on both sides. So today I popped open the valve covers and found this. All I could spot was dual springs and arp bolts.

BTW this was on the passenger side head "719988774776" and "F207" on the driver side head.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

Was the 719988774776 number you posted the only long number like that in the head?
Old 08-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

yeah thats the only pn I spotted
Old 08-27-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With some kind of number on the casting its hard to tell. They do look like stock gm castings of some sort though. One thing you can do is if you remove the rocker arms there will be some casting numbers if you can tell us what they are we can better guess on what they might be. If you look in the 3rd pic on top of the second head bolt I can make out the number 24x that could be 241 or 243. Let us know what you see but either way they could sill be ported gm heads which you will probably never know.

Also just a little side bar but from the pic it looks like your car has an ls6 block if you didnt already know that. In front of the valley cover on the block it appears to be flat whereas an ls1 block will have a bullseye mark there. I know this isnt the normal way to tell without looking at the block number but I have NEVER seen an ls1 without a bullseye or an ls6 with one. Once again though its just an ls6 block it doesnt do anything for hp.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

If there is another casting number under the rocker stands that you can't see, if stock heads, the last 3 digits will verify what casting number they are. That's if they are even stock
Old 08-27-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Casting number on the front was filed off because it is likely a ported stock head. I see the ARP bolts and a comp trunion upgrade on the rockers. Those springs are probably patriot or PRC with the titanium retainers.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redbird555
With some kind of number on the casting its hard to tell. They do look like stock gm castings of some sort though. One thing you can do is if you remove the rocker arms there will be some casting numbers if you can tell us what they are we can better guess on what they might be. If you look in the 3rd pic on top of the second head bolt I can make out the number 24x that could be 241 or 243. Let us know what you see but either way they could sill be ported gm heads which you will probably never know.

Also just a little side bar but from the pic it looks like your car has an ls6 block if you didnt already know that. In front of the valley cover on the block it appears to be flat whereas an ls1 block will have a bullseye mark there. I know this isnt the normal way to tell without looking at the block number but I have NEVER seen an ls1 without a bullseye or an ls6 with one. Once again though its just an ls6 block it doesnt do anything for hp.

What you see their is the upside down F207 that I had posted earlyer.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I like how the car came with heads/cam dual exhaust pulley etc, but it just kills me not to know the specs. If only I can some how get ahold of the owner. Car came from Arkansas, Its NBM and had ghost flames, now its just NBM.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i would think AI or PRC, the old PRC heads would shave the numbers off that spot, but know (dont know how recent) the laser engrave their PRC logo on them. so you might have some PRC 5.3 on there. nice buy with the stock rocker upgrade!