Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Turn Signal Problems need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Problems need Help!!

I have a 99 TA and all of my signals work, they just don't blink! My fuses are good and my blinker fuse under the steering wheel is good, and all of my bulbs are good. What I did find is that my front signals have corrosion in the terminals, so I have replaced the plugs, Still same problem? Does anyone have any suggestions or answers? Thanks!

This is very frustrating

Last edited by James Creasy; 03-06-2004 at 01:25 AM.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by James Creasy
I have a 99 TA and all of my signals work, they just don't blink! My fuses are good and my blinker fuse under the steering wheel is good, and all of my bulbs are good. What I did find is that my front signals have corrosion in the terminals, so I have replaced the plugs, Still same problem? Does anyone have any suggestions or answers? Thanks!

This is very frustrating
Perhaps you should check the turn signal flasher and make sure the blinker light fluid is full. LOL. I'm assuming your amber lights do light up when you make a turn signal request.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Have you tried replacing the flashers themselves?

--VIP1
Old 03-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Just do it the old fashion way, stick you arm out the window when making a turn.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

I was thinking about turning my hazzard lights on and let people guess which way I turn !!! lol
Yes I have even traded blinker fuse with my brothers 94 z28 ; mine works in his car his did not work in my car Whats going on?? I think my car is possessed!! Maybe my signal swith is bad..... dreading that!!
Old 03-07-2004, 06:55 PM
Banned

I was thinking about turning my hazzard lights on and let people guess which way I turn !!! lol
Yes I have even traded blinker fuse with my brothers 94 z28 ; mine works in his car his did not work in my car Whats going on?? I think my car is possessed!! Maybe my signal swith is bad..... dreading that!!
not a fuse, turn signal flasher. Do you know what that is?
Old 03-07-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Where is the fuse located under the steering wheel, I've had this turn signal problem and the hazards flash, I can manually turn the signals on, but thats a hassle when you are trying to make a turn.......

I want to see if that fuse is the possible problem.......
Old 03-07-2004, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fullfloatingHD
not a fuse, turn signal flasher. Do you know what that is?
Yea, are you mistaking the turn signal flasher with a fuse: The turnsignal flasher looks like:
http://gazler.com/users/2kthunder/tu...dashpanel1.jpg

I have had the same problem as you three times on different cars. 2 times it was a burned out bulb, the other time (on my f-bod) was the flasher.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe I should clarify myself... my turn signal fuse is good, my tail lamp fuse is good. My flasher fuse is good. I know what the flasher fuse looks like. You can hear it tick with the emergency flasher on. All I know is that it quit flashing all of a sudden. Then two other times it began to work again, and now the flashing is just dead. My driving lights do work......... what else could it be?
Old 03-07-2004, 10:15 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Maybe I should clarify myself... my turn signal fuse is good, my tail lamp fuse is good. My flasher fuse is good. I know what the flasher fuse looks like. You can hear it tick with the emergency flasher on. All I know is that it quit flashing all of a sudden. Then two other times it began to work again, and now the flashing is just dead. My driving lights do work......... what else could it be?
The hazard flasher is a seperate module from the turn signal flasher. Therefore, the hazards will still work even if the turn signals dont.

--VIP1
Old 03-07-2004, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

So are there 2 plugs like this http://gazler.com/users/2kthunder/t...ldashpanel1.jpg ?? I was just stating that you can hear the flasher tick with the hazzard lights on ...... just to help you hear and locate the fuse.

Last edited by James Creasy; 03-07-2004 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Your link doesnt work. Either you're mixing terms or talking about something else. The flasher module is not a fuse. Have you tried swaping out the flasher module (not the fuse)?

--VIP1
Old 03-07-2004, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

Yes I have tried swaping the module....... I call the flasher module a fuse ....... but yes I have swaped with my brother..... mine works in his car!
Old 03-07-2004, 11:27 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Then, I'm stumped.

--VIP1
Old 03-07-2004, 11:43 PM
Banned

I think Creasy is the one doing the stumping, he called a fuse a turn signal flasher the same thing. Creasy my advice to you is take to the dealer and pay what they say cause if their wrong you won't have to pay for the extra diagnostic labor on top of what they will maybe only charge 50-70 etc.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Its not that big of deal that I called a "flasher module" a fuse. Same principle. Both go bad. Both need to be replaced when needed. So thanks for your advice fullfloatinghd!!
Old 03-08-2004, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can hear it tick with the hazard on but not with the turn signal on? The hazards use a flasher, and a sperate flasher operates the turn signals. Have you swapped the TURNSignal flasher out? You might have tried your brothers on the hazard flasher, with works fine to begin with.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:01 AM
Banned

Well creasy figure it like this you work at a dealership, you have three oil changes waiting on friggn conversion vans and SUVs that are a PITA you get a car like yours flashers inop (possibly intermittent) you have to know within 5 minutes to figure it out and check part availablility and everyone wanted their car done yesterday.

PS Hazard Flasher module fuse powering the circuit and the TURN SIGNAL FLASHER are three entirly different things. Perhaps you should do what a technician would do and look at the wiring diagram sometimes I copy it color it and makes notes of a wires integrity V-drop etc.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:26 AM
Staging Lane

So does the Hazzard module and flasher module look the same, cause now I'm woundering if i took the Hazzard Module out. If so where is the flasher module, I only saw one module that was round with prongs.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Yes, the turn signal flasher and the hazard flasher look the same. Both are small cylindrical canisters about an inch in diameter and about 1.5 inch tall with two terminals on one end arranged at 90 degree angle to each other.

The turn signal flasher is mounted under the dash just to the right of the opening when you pull off the plastic knee panel under the steering column. It is held in place by a clip. The hazard flasher is mounted to the left of the steering column.

If both side turn signals fail to flash and you've checked that you don't have burned out bulbs then the most likely culprit is the turn signal flasher. If the flasher turns out to be OK then you will have to do some diagnosing with a test light or multimeter but it will likely be your turn signal switch.

If only one side fails to flash then it is NEVER the flasher because both sides run through the same flasher. It usually be a burned out bulb or a bad socket but it can sometimes be a corroded or broken connection on the side that won't flash.

Only if the turn signal lights don't go on at all would you consider that it might be a fuse.