Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e won't engage in any gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e won't engage in any gear

Help Please.
I am new here and also have little knowledge about automatic transmissions.

Rundown,
Driving home from work, my car 94 Trans Am 5.7 auto, shut off like it did when the optispark went about a year ago. I fired it back up in neutral, the car started perfectly and ran smooth, but the tranny will not engage in any gear at all now.

I towed it home and checked the fluid and shifting cable, both were fine.. I dropped the pan and checked the wiring, fluid(color, smell) and the filter all of which looked fine.

There is a clicking noise from the torque converter but there are no leaks and I checked the torque converter bolts and they are fine as well.

Any help PLEASE!!!
Thanks Pete
Old 08-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its most likely the rotor inside the front pump. without the pump you have no fluid pressure inside the trans. this same thing happened to me about 5 times. i finally had to buy a brand name converter. what causes it is the hub on the converter is not perfectly straight and breaks the ears off the rotor gear. i had bought a cheap stall converter but you get what you pay for i bought. pull the trans remove the bellhousing and take the pump out and take it apart the round rotor inside it will most likley be busted

Quick Reply: 4l60e won't engage in any gear