Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Scraping noise while braking after shifter/susp. upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scraping noise while braking after shifter/susp. upgrades

Recently I installed the following on my 97 TransAm: Pro5.0 Shifter, Bilstein HD shocks(rear only), G2 LCAs (street/race)

I did the pro5.0 about a week ago and didnt notice anything odd, but i just installed the bilsteins and the LCAs and i am noticing a loud repeating squeak from the driver's side wheel area when light brake pressure is applied. The frequency of the squeak seems to correspond th the speed the wheel is moving. As the car slows down to under 5mph, the squeak turns into a scraping sound - -again it seems to follow the speed of the wheel, as if one point on the rotor had a burr on it. If hard brake pressure is applied, everything sounds fine.
I also tried slowing down to a stop using the e-brake. The squeak/scrape is audible, but it doesnt seem as loud.

I pulled off the caliper and inspected the pads and rotor... pads looked perfect... rotor didnt have any pits or evidence of scraping.

My only idea now is to replace the driverside control arm with the stock one and see if it goes away... i just dont expect it too, since the noises are only apparant when i lightly apply the brakes. I tightend all the rod end bolts to 90ft/lb and lubed them with dry graphite. Tightened urethane ends to 61ft/lb and greased with mobil1 synthetic grease.
During the pro5.0 install, i did have to disengauge the parking brake ratchet, so i thought maybe i screwed something up there and it somehow causing this problem, and it just wasnt apparant until now.
Im fairly confident that the new bilsteins arent causing the noise, but i could potentially swap those with stockers if y'all think there's reason to suspect them.

Anyone have any helpful input???