Sponsored by:

Simple Brake question from a newb

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Simple Brake question from a newb

hey all,

I'm new to the forum, although I've been trolling it for some time now. I'm fairly new to doing work on my T/A because I've never really been around mechanically savvy people or known how to do it myself.

Just did my first rotor swap last night, and noticed that the two H looking retaining pins inside of my front calipers were broken on one half. I was wondering how 'important' they were to break functionality and whether I should find replacements, put them back in as-is or just ditch them. They look like all they do is slightly hold the brake pads against the rotor somehow.

Thnx for the help.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Teching In

In case i was too vague in my fault description, a picture to clarify. I'm talking about the piece in between the middle of both brake pads in the center of the picture. the "H" shaped metal retaining clip on both of my front brakes is broken; I only have half of each. What exactly does it do, how important is it, and where can I find a replacement if I should actually need it? Thanks!

Last edited by cycocyanin; 08-28-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea replace it .
Old 08-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

I think they're for preventing brake squealing and low pad indicator. Will start making screeching noise next time your pads are wearing out.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevebbc
I think they're for preventing brake squealing and low pad indicator. Will start making screeching noise next time your pads are wearing out.
They are just retaining clips. I believe they are there just to make it easier to reassemble the caliper pad assermbly on the car.