Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Baboons installed my clutch and slave cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Default Baboons installed my clutch and slave cylinder

Is it normal for the master cylinder connector at the slave cylinder to move? I've got air in my system and I fear that the tube going in to the slave is broken and leaking. If I wiggle the master cylinder connection, it moves 2-3 mm. No fluid is visible from outside the car, but the baboons who installed my clutch did this before...

The back story:
I made a BIG mistake by taking my car to Finish Line Performance in Naperville, IL to have my clutch and hydraulics replaced. (I live in a place in the city where I can't drop my own tranny.) I had my transmission rebuilt by Finish Line a while back and have been really happy with it. Unfortunately, after dropping off my car, I found that the bolt-on guys separated from the transmission guys, now doing business under Finish Line Transmissions, in Wood Dale, IL.

In hind sight, I should have taken the car back and gone to the right place. But these guys said they could replace a clutch and... I believed them. That's when my car was evidently given to the wolves.

Within a week of picking up the car, I had air in the system. I took the car all the way back and they dropped the transmission to find that the high pressure tube going in to the slave was leaking at the slave body. I was told that it was a shoddy Delco slave and I "should have gone" with a GM cylinder. (Even though I was not given an option.) They worked me a deal on the repair so dropping the transmission a second time wouldn't hurt the pocket book so much. That was a nice thing for them to do, but after meeting the guy who worked on my car, (I don't think he was old enough to drive a car, himself.) I left with a feeling like it may have been "mechanic" error.

Fast forward a few months and I have air in the system again. I got under the car today to find that there is a wiggle in the MC connector and was horrified to see the thing all chewed up. (BTW - This was a new Tick MC with a brand new connector.) It looks like an army of baboons went to town on it with a meat grinder and a crow bar. I'm thinking that who ever was working on the car had a problem with the connector and (instead of solving the problem) used a hammer on it. No wonder things keep going to hell.

Now, I've got to drop the transmission, pay for a repair, and may even have to have Tick rebuild my MC if the connector is too F*'d up. My instinct tells me to go back to Finish Line Performance - but in the end I need a quality job done. I don't think they have the ability to do it.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Are you missimg any fluid?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:03 AM
Save the manuals!

No fluid that I see. (The last slave issue I had was the same way.) Any leaking fluid would be in the bell housing. I do have a Tick remote bleeder and if I bleed the system, I get some air bubbles out.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Save the manuals!

Any thoughts? Is the wiggle in the slave cylinder connector normal? I need to make a call on what to do.

Sorry - I put that question first in an effort to insulate it from my rant.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

A little bit of wiggle is norm. I just installed my new clutch (had to do it 2x thanks to a crap rear main seal.... ), so I've spent a few days under the car lately.

I am STILL getting all the air out of my new slave, so it doesn't suprise me. It can be a bit tedious and take some time. With a new master cylinder, it needs to be bench bled before installing. Been there before too. You can NOT get all the air out of a master cylinder when it's installed in the car.

Anyhow, hope this helps ya' a little.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:38 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Schantin
With a new master cylinder, it needs to be bench bled before installing. Been there before too. You can NOT get all the air out of a master cylinder when it's installed in the car.
I can.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Schantin
A little bit of wiggle is norm.
Thanks - that's what I'm looking for.

Everything was perfect for a couple of months and now air is inside, so I'm 99% sure there is a leak.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmd
I can.
Haha. You're pretty lucky.

The position of the master causes air to remain within the cylinder. Very similiar to the brake master cylinder on a "Terminator" Mustang Cobra (which is also a bitch to bleed). I used a Mitivac w/ less than favorable results. Ended out pulling the master and bench bled it while under pressure from a bug-sprayer filled with brake fluid. Only took a couple hours, but was the only way I've ever been able to get all the "slop" outta them.

Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: Baboons installed my clutch and slave cylinder