Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to start with the ls-engines?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to start with the ls-engines?

A lot of you guys encouraged me to go with an LS-engine instead of an old style BBC since I also have to have an eye on the fuel consumption.

I am interested in that stuff but it is not easy to start with.

The pros:

LIGHTWEIGHTED
good fuel consumption
reliable
good idle and coldstart
can be backed to a 6l80 tranny

the cons:

there is really a lot to learn (at the moment I try to understand the differences between LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6, LS7 and LSX)
tons of electronic
unreasonable expensive

I want to have a big cube LS-engine if I go that route. Locally somebody sells a Corvette LS1 for 2000€ but Iam sure I can drop him. He also got the harness/computer-unit (but it would need to be reworked to a stand alone-system anyways, right?)

No I read that the LS1 is limited in its displacement due to its cam-position.

My idea was to go with the stock, 344HP, LS1 for now and change the shortblock and heads later.
That way I would have all the accessories and all the sensors and so on and so on.
Means I would by a stroker shortblock, heads, intake and probably pushrods in the near future and would upgrade.

The question now are, is that a good way to start or totally nonesens?
Should I spend the 2000€ what is a little more in Dollar for an aftermarket EFI dedicated to LS-engines.

What I am after in the future is one of the tall deck aluminum shortblocks.
I would love to have 481-500cid as the car is not that light (around 1700kg).
Old 08-29-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

if you're starting from scratch, i wouldnt do an ls1 block.......yes they are limited......i beleive you can only bore them .010 over........the most cubes you can get is 395 i beleive..........if i were starting from scratch, id look for an ls2, which is a 6.0 362 ci motor........reason being is if youre goona stroke it, an ls2 can go all the way up to 416 ci....ive seen some 402 ls2 strokers run around 10.2-10.6 seconds in the 1/4 without power adders in a 4th gen.......now that is with a great suspension and a very worked motor.........you will have a ton more torque with an ls2 stroker vs ls1 stroker.........torque is your friend

and electronics is on 50% of why they are more expensive.........the other reason is aluminum heads, and that its a full hydraulic motor

Last edited by Floorman279; 08-29-2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: ......
Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Thanks a lot for the first insight.
I I start with an stroker tall deck LS-shortblock, would I go with the stock EFI or an Aftermarket-EFI?

I guess the Aftermarket-EFI is far more tuning-friendly but would I have the same great mileage as with the stock-EFI?

If so, why does an traditional 454BBC (for example) with the same EFI on it not have such a good mileage (thats what people are telling me)?

I think a turbocharged LS-Engine would be the right choice for me. I am looking for 800-1000HP max.

Dont lets talk about the suspension, the car got a modern full perimeter-subframe.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Junkie

i couldnt tell you why the ls motors get such great gas mileage...............but do "NOT" use any aftermarket intake besides a fast........maybe a BBK aluminum....but only if you are putting out a mad amount of boost and spray..............the factory style intakes perform very well..................honestly, you would lose hp tq numbers if you buy any aftermarket intake besides the fast.....seriously, do not get any other intake
Old 08-31-2011, 05:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Floorman279
i couldnt tell you why the ls motors get such great gas mileage...............but do "NOT" use any aftermarket intake besides a fast........maybe a BBK aluminum....but only if you are putting out a mad amount of boost and spray..............the factory style intakes perform very well..................honestly, you would lose hp tq numbers if you buy any aftermarket intake besides the fast.....seriously, do not get any other intake

Okey, very interesting.

The stock Intake look very good with it long runners.
Any idea about the EFI, will I loose eficiency in the mileage if I go with an Aftermarket-EFI?
Are there Stand-Alone-EFI´s dedicated to LS-Engines or is the stock EFI the way to go (but how to come by one if I start with an stroker shortblock and heads and build up from that base)?
Old 08-31-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hannes_slanec
Okey, very interesting.

The stock Intake look very good with it long runners.
Any idea about the EFI, will I loose eficiency in the mileage if I go with an Aftermarket-EFI?
Are there Stand-Alone-EFI´s dedicated to LS-Engines or is the stock EFI the way to go (but how to come by one if I start with an stroker shortblock and heads and build up from that base)?
there are no set alone efi's for the ls motor.....wonder why? becuase it cant be imitated......they have made existing systems available for ls motors, but nothing that makes near enough power as the oem intakes......weiand actually tried making an intake andguess what, it was never released.....probably because they failed miserably. im not getting into the other intakes available....im not goona sit here and tell you whats out there and why not to use them...........either use a gm intake, or buy a fast. bbk does make an intake pretty much the same as the factory, but its metal and not nylon.......it seriously makes the same hp as the worst flowing ls intake........which is the ls1 intake.....if you had a mildly modified motor making 400 hp with a bbk intake, put an ls6 intake on there and i would think you might pick up 5-10 hp.......that is the "ONLY" aftermarket intake people really use, becuase theoreticcally its handle more boost/spray since its --metal, but many have run 7-10 pounds on the nylons. guess people just like to feel better so they run the metal.....few have run the edelbrock pro flow as well but i wouldnt waste the money
Old 09-01-2011, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Floorman279
there are no set alone efi's for the ls motor.....
Golden Engines for example uses the Self Tuning Holley EFI System

(http://www.golenengineservice.com/en...-rod-turn-key/)

Would it be possible to buy an entire stock LS-EFI from GM?
If so I think it would be the same as an complete LS3-Drop out. I could pull the EFI and resell the LS3 to save some money.

Is the stock LS-EFI just selftuneable via Laptop?

Quick Reply: How to start with the ls-engines?