Anyone with experience with a zx10?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone with experience with a zx10?

I just got the 06 and it's making me crazy. The previous owner said it had a bad rectifier and was replacing it. When I got there it had been but still not charging and the head lights had quit working. Against my better judgement I got it because he said he would replace the stator and head light relay. Got home replaced relay and when I bumped it they came on. Then when stator arrived I replaced it. Started up lights worked. Went for a short ride and the lights quit. Went home and shut it off. Then went to start it to bring it in and it was dead. Charged the battery. Started it and checked voltage at battery only changed 1/10 volt lower at 5k rpm. Shut it off removed tank and unplugged stator. Went to start so I could test and everything was dead. Main fuse blown. Now waiting on wife to bring home fuses.

Has ANYONE had these problems? Only thing I noticed that was screwy Is some poorly wired LEDs but were ran to battery and the 55w ddm hids do not have relays in line.

Sorry for the long post

Ok got the fuse in and tested stator and at 5k rpm it's putting out 15v all three ways. So how do I test the rectifier and what else could be the problem? I have put a new (borrowed one from friend) battery on so that's not it.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:08 AM
Launching!

Yank all aftermarket **** they put on. Change all bulbs / wiring back to stock. The only time I had a charging problem on any of the bikes I owned was due to aftermarket add-ons.

From what you've listed you've swapped most of the important parts. I had a rectifier go bad (common) on a 20+ year old bike but the replacement solved the issue. Stators *RARELY* go bad. The battery is the most common item to fail but if you're tried another... It's most likely crappy wiring / add-ons.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

I have had to deal with the same issues before and I had alot of wiring issues to repair first. Plus a rectifier that was not working.