Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how well does the MAF translator work

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how well does the MAF translator work

Im a little worried as i dont have enough dough to get a dyno right now and im adding lt's in a few days. Shoul di pick up one of the maf translators to help zero in my a/f ratio jsut in case its off a little bit or should the stock pcm be able to adjust enough for me? Im not looking for top performance, mostly i just wanted a little extra power but the headers are being added mostly for exhaust note.
Thanx
Travis
Old 03-05-2004, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

well without a wideband how you gonna know your air fuel? o2 sensors really aren't that accurate. ESP if you go LT/ORY air passes right on by them o2's a bit faster than with cats.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't mess with MAFT if you do not know your base AFR. You got to have a base to make adjustments. Guessing is no good with tuning.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

especially with nitrous, brave man you are. lean her out up top, melt some 8 pistons real quick
Old 03-05-2004, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've had it dynoed but it was stock. I don't have the paper with me but i was told the a/f was right where it should be. I added a catback and lid as my only other mods other than the nitrous kit, which i don't use very often. Im pretty confident that i will be a little bit rich but nothign to worry about. And wouldn't be ever so slightly rich onlyhelp with the nitrous?

besides if i start fuggin **** up it gives me a reason to tear it apart and start from scratch
thanks fellas
Travis
Old 03-06-2004, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Without a diagnostic tool like AutoTap an MAFT won't do you much good. You won't know what to set the MAFT to if you can't monitor base and wot ltrims and O2 readings.

If you have AutoTap then an MAFT will do a reasonable job of letting you make adjustments to generally keep your a/f relatively safe. I used one for a couple of years with my supercharger.

However, professional tuning is best.

Quick Reply: how well does the MAF translator work