Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Vibrations after new clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibrations after new clutch install

I recently installed a new stg 1 clutch kit being careful to follow all the correct torque specs/patterns. I used the stock flywheel and had it resurfaced before installing the new clutch/PP.

Now when sitting still or driving when the engine is between 1000 and 1500 rpms I get vibrations that can be felt the most through the steering wheel and the shifter handle although the whole car is vibrating just much less.

The only thing i can think is that maybe something didnt line up quite right or the machine shop that resurfaced my flywheel somehow did it wrong. In the meantime I dont have much of a choice but to drive the car until the weekend. I plan on tearing everything apart and reinstalling each piece to make sure the error did not occur when i reinstalled everything.

I would appreciate any input that you guys might have.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

try moving the driveshaft 180...or did you mark it on removal and put it back in the same way?

what kind of car?
is the motor stock or rebuilt internal balanced motor?
Old 08-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Teching In

I did mark and put it back the same way. 2000 trans am ws6 stock motor
Old 08-30-2011, 02:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what clutch you're using, but was the pressure plate balanced before installation?
Old 08-30-2011, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go with a new flywheel. Things may have changed, but my corvette shop manual states not to surface the flywheel. It says its a matched set and both clutch & flywheel should be replaced together. Sounds like you did everything right.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Teching In

SNL-I would like to assume it would be balanced before arriving at my door.

SS69-If the redo this weekend doesn't help then I will have no other choice but to buy a new flywheel/clutch.

I have also noticed that the longer i drive the car the worse the vibration gets. Odd.

Anyone else have any other ideas?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:57 PM
12 Second Club

Thinking through the whole drivetrain and what you would have touched while doing the install, it points to the flywheel. Based on what you're saying, I doubt it is the trans mount, though that is possible. I suppose you could try replacing that, it just doesn't make sense that it would suddenly go bad.

It could be the driveshaft/u-joints, but again, doesn't make sense that it would suddenly go wrong.

It could be the pilot bearing. Did you replace that when you installed everything? Also, when you pushed the trans back in to place, is it possible that you didn't have it aligned correctly and pushed the pilot bearing back into the engine? Check that.

Sorry I can't be more help, that's all I have for you.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:44 AM
FormerVendor

I am not sure what clutch you are using but as a point of reference when using the stock flywheel with an aftermarket clutch assembly the parts should be balanced together. We provide info relative to this with our kits. This is needed because the stock assembly is balanced as an assembly only and the components are not independently balanced. As a result when installing any aftermarket clutch with the stock flywheel the parts must be balanced together. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 08-31-2011, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Gatsby- I appreciate your response and the pilot bearing was replaced because the internals of the old one were disintegrated but I caught it soon enough so the input shaft was not harmed. When I put the trans back in I wiggled it around until it went in easily so I dont think the pilot would have been pushed back. I will probably get a new transmission mount and replace that when i pull everything apart this weekend.

I am skeptical of it being the u-joints because the car vibrates even if the transmisison is in neutral and im not moving.

Spec-Thanks for your input. I will have my flywheel/PP assembly checked for balance. There are some machinist at my dads work that can do this for me and I will have them balance the assembly before I put everything back in.

The thing that throws me off, and maybe this is normal, is that the vibration is felt the most through the steering wheel as if it is in direct contact with the source. The clutch pedal and shifter have much less vibration through them.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:37 AM
Teching In

I just spoke with the machine shop that resurfaced my flywheel and the guy said that sometimes the flywheels warp and when they resurface them it trues up one side of the flywheel which will cause the metal to be thinner in some areas than others. Thus throwing the flywheel out of balance. Of course he offered to check it for an additional 50 bucks. Has anyone heard of that happening?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CoonAssKid
I just spoke with the machine shop that resurfaced my flywheel and the guy said that sometimes the flywheels warp and when they resurface them it trues up one side of the flywheel which will cause the metal to be thinner in some areas than others. Thus throwing the flywheel out of balance. Of course he offered to check it for an additional 50 bucks. Has anyone heard of that happening?
I'm sure it's possible if enough heat is introduced. This is exactly why we use a Billet Steel Flywheel which is zero balanced along with our pressure plates. By the time you have your stock flywheel resurfaced and the assembly rebalanced our kits more than pay for themselves. Hope you get yours working right.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Teching In

I have one more question for you guys. I live around new orleans so i wasnt able to pull anything apart due to the tropical storm but i am goign to attempt to do it today. If i start the engine with just the PP/Flywheel on it to see if it still vibrates will that hurt anything?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Vibrations after new clutch install