View Full Version : What is Rice?

Mississippi
08-31-2011, 09:59 AM
So I see all these things that are dubbed rice by many, but just don't fit the mold. Like stickers for one. I don't like a shit load of stickers on my car. I like one or two tastefully displayed but that's just because its a 4th gen. Stickers don't flow well with the car. If it were a 78 Camaro you best believe it'd be covered in edelbrock, hurst, lunati, etc stickers. I don't see the problem with stickers as long as they aren't giant vinyl flames or some shit like that. Hell drag cars are covered in stickers, even then non sponsored ones. Another thing thats called "rice" - ambient lighting. And no I'm not talking about 15 neon tubes from Auto Zone double side taped to everything in sight. Just some low intensity color illuminating your feet. Hell new camaros and mustangs have it. Corvettes too. Are they ricers because of this? I think not. One more that really gets me - wings. Not giant 4 feet tall wings but it seems like if its not a ss wing, a stock wing, or a rs wing its rice. There are quite a few aftermarket wings that are just hideously ricer, my car had one of these giant super wings when I bought it. But there are a few that I love. Idk the over used term just starts to annoy me over time. If you don't have a berger mod, a ss wing, Corvette wheels, and an ls1tech sticker you are just not cool it seems like. Haha.

thunderstruck507
08-31-2011, 10:39 AM
Why do you care what people think then?

Covering a car in stickers is gay IMO. Even race cars look better without a bunch of faded unpaid advertising plastered all over them. Nice vinyl wraps can be done well if executed properly. Just coating a street car in every free sticker that comes with your parts looks trashy IMO. Put them in a toolbox or shop beer fridge.

I have yet to see a non SS wing for a 4th gen Camaro that didn't look like shit. The RS wing is included in that. It is a glued on afterthought that doesn't blend with the car at all. Now there might be some nice ones, but I've yet to see one.

z_speedfreak
08-31-2011, 10:43 AM
I think tech has it pretty summed up by now;)
http://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lounge/260083-what-rice-lets-discuss.html
http://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lounge/1064152-definition-rice.html
http://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lounge/367105-what-classifies-rice.html
http://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lounge/1109224-what-do-you-consider-rice.html
http://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lounge/944822-how-do-you-describe-rice.html

willizm
08-31-2011, 12:38 PM
I think the best definition of rice I have heard is that "It's a state of mind". I like imports, but I'd be the guy with a turbo supra with absolutely no cosmetic enhancements whats so ever. I prefer the sleeper look :) Even my T/a I have a plastic bag filled with manufacturer stickers. I may slap them all over my toolbox, but i'm not slapping them on my car. Just my preference

2002_Z28_Six_Speed
08-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Unprofessional, unadult, and nonfunctional.

DiscerningZ32
08-31-2011, 01:03 PM
I will never put a sticker anywhere on my car, but I'm into the clean look.
I think many people on tech are into the clean look over the other fads and flashy aesthetics.

As for wings, I don't think any of the spoilers look good on either 4th gen, with the exception of the TA.
Personally, I don't even like the ss spoiler that much...

That's part of the reason I like the C5 so much more than f-bodies.
It looks mean, clean, and best without any spoiler.:nod:

87silverbullet
08-31-2011, 01:06 PM

Exactly! From the non-functioning ram-air to the park bench that was stolen to make a wing for the back of a civic. None of its functional and looks hideous. I have seen some tastefully done imports but the park bench fart can crowd just gives the guys who do it tastefully a bad rap.

2002_Z28_Six_Speed
08-31-2011, 01:33 PM
Exactly! From the non-functioning ram-air to the park bench that was stolen to make a wing for the back of a civic. None of its functional and looks hideous. I have seen some tastefully done imports but the park bench fart can crowd just gives the guys who do it tastefully a bad rap.

I will see if I can get a picture the next time I see this guy but there is a person with a mullet that drives a yellow C6 corvette with a giant wing on the back of it. The wing is about as wide as the vehicle.

X-ray
08-31-2011, 09:38 PM
Rice, short for ricer, short for rice burner. Rice burner is any vehicle of Asian origin because their main food staple is rice. All other definitions are wrong.

94LT1TA6spd
08-31-2011, 09:43 PM

Agreed.

:barf::rice

Russell PTA
08-31-2011, 11:17 PM
and what is up with the definition "race inspired customized exterior" that's not a definition, that's an anagram that someone made up after the term rice was widely being used.

i agree with all of the above posts. i will add IMO that just because someone drives a honda it doesn't make it rice. it's the mentality/ghetto mods added in.

if i see a middle aged woman driving a honda CRV i dont first say its a ricer.

beerman985
08-31-2011, 11:20 PM
race inspired cosmetic enhansments

JD_AMG
09-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Rice, short for ricer, short for rice burner. Rice burner is any vehicle of Asian origin because their main food staple is rice. All other definitions are wrong.

Your definition is wrong.
The term "rice burner" for a car was coined because years ago the Japanese used rice as a fuel additive. It started with the japanese made bikes, then went to the cars and now the term has evolved to what we know it as today, someone who is a "wanna be". Cars made to look fast, cars with non-functional parts(fake scoops vents etc), brand stickers on a car without those mods (NOS stickers without actually having any nitrous) etc etc.
The exact opposite of a "ricer" is a "sleeper".

wooddaniel
09-01-2011, 05:24 PM
I've got a couple stickers under my hood but none visible on the car. I wouldnt add stickers to the exterior. Looks tacky IMO

chaman
09-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Something you eat with beans and tastes quite good.

bestlude
09-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Something you eat with beans and tastes quite good.

That is correct. Rice is a cereal grass (Oryza sativa) that is cultivated extensively in warm climates for its edible grain....

sw07gt
09-01-2011, 06:17 PM
You're all ricers.

ArkBird96
09-01-2011, 10:47 PM
I know it when I see it :D