New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy needs help! 99 Trans Am 5.7L

Old 08-31-2011, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy needs help! 99 Trans Am 5.7L

I just purchased a 1999 Trans Am with the 5.7L motor. The car starts but will not remain running. When I push on the gas pedel there is nothing there and the car will die. If I take my foot off before it does it will usually adjust and then idle and eventually die. If I sort of nurse the rpm's up I can get it up to around 3500. Not sure if this sounds like a fuel filter, relay, pump, pressure, or something totally unrelated?Related or not - the dash gages seem to have a mind of there own, spiking around?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The gauges are jumping around because the car is trying to die, you are on the right track I would suspect a fuel filter or fuel pump causing the problem first thing you need to do is a pressure check on the fuel system, also is the service engine soon light coming on while the car is running if it is you need to have those codes checked and see what they are.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

do you have a check engine light? try scanning it. id also start with the basics, spark plugs, fuel filter, clean your MAF. id also try to put some fresh gas in it. like you said also check to see if your fuel pump and regulator are working, there is a shredder valve on the front of i think the driver side fuel rail, take a screw driver and push it and see if you have fuel pressure.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:27 PM

Thats cool how didi it go.

Try injectors mine did same

Search this Thread