Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Replacing camaro door panel upholstry help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing camaro door panel upholstry help!

I want to replace the fabric on the upper part of my door panels (4th gen Camaro) with a vinyl but I dont know how you all are doing it. A friend of mone wrecked his Camaro and I took one of his door panels and tried to remove the piece but I tore up the panel in the process. Also how in the world are you all getting those heavy duty staples out of the inner weather stripping without messing it up and what are you using to replace them? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are spcial tools and products to use. somebody with know how will chime in with their know how.. i started molding 4th gen panels into my third gen when i was doing my interior wap before i sold the car.. i quit though whn the car was sold.. this thread kinda makes me wanna finish them for the hell of it lol
Old 09-01-2011, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

To get the staples out just slide a small flathead to lift each prong a little then use some small pliers to straighten it. To get back on you can bend the staples back down, or I just used new staples.

To get the panel off, pop the melted plastic studs off the rear using a flathead, snips, whatever. Then just remove the old material, and put on the new. For a nice install use some thin foam backing under the vinyl. I completely removed the original stuff and put in headliner material and got a very nice feel.

To get back on I used my plastic welder (harbor frieght about $50 and very useful for all kinds of projects!) to melt tabs back on.

Quick Reply: Replacing camaro door panel upholstry help!