Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 S14 Wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 S14 Wont start

Its turning over and the injectors are getting signal and its getting spark but it sounds like its not getting fuel. I pulled one injector to test the signal and some gas got in the hole and i tried to start it after that and it kinda gurgled like it was trying in that one cylinder, but after it burnt up it just kept turning over. I dont know whats wrong and I really want this thing to run. Any input appreciated.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Check your Fuel Pressure..is the Fuel Pump comin on?
Old 09-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by the_merv
Check your Fuel Pressure..is the Fuel Pump comin on?
Yes, I accidentally forgot to reconnect my fuel hose and the pump primed and gas went everywhere.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have the injectors been unsed for a period of time?
They can become stuck/closed.
It might be helpful to pull 1 injector & connect it to a 9v battery. When you apply both + and - of the 9v to that inj, you should hear the injector 'click', or open. After you release the battery, it should click again to indicate that it has closed.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gMAG
Have the injectors been unsed for a period of time?
They can become stuck/closed.
It might be helpful to pull 1 injector & connect it to a 9v battery. When you apply both + and - of the 9v to that inj, you should hear the injector 'click', or open. After you release the battery, it should click again to indicate that it has closed.
I'll try that. If they dont click is there any way to get them back to normal?
Old 09-01-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by yesaCSpencer
I'll try that. If they dont click is there any way to get them back to normal?
Despite the claimed remedies, I can't say that any one of them will work in all cases. I had 3 frozen injectors (they had sat for a couple of years). Even the Fuel Injector Connection couldn't clean them, so they replaced them.
Some soak the ends of the injs in Sea Foam and claim that this works to unfreeze them. I'm not a believer in this method and ended up sending mine to FIC (sponsor) in GA. While Sea Foam might unstick the injector, it won't clean the insides of them.
I understand that "Old Geezer" will clean & flush your injectors. He posts here regularly.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

The injectors are fine.. so IDK what the deal is...
Old 09-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

how's your wiring? you get VATS disabled? (thought it should catch and die, if it hasn't been run for a while it can sometimes be confused with bigger issues)

have you tested spark? there are only so many wires to worry about to get the motor to catch - has it been sitting for a while before cranking?
Old 09-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Its sat for about a year with out doing anything. I was thinking it could be VATS. It is getting spark. Its getting everything it needs but fuel to the cylinders, as far as I know.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:27 PM

Dude i agree its not the soame

Did you check to see if everything connected.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Is this engine a recent transplant?
VATS could be an issue.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What is the voltage going to the coils while cranking the motor? A lot of people have connecd the the power wires to a spot that's hot until you start cranking and then loses power.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Is this engine a recent transplant?
VATS could be an issue.
I pulled the motor last summer from the Camaro I bought, and I just tried to start it for the first time about 2 weeks ago.

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
What is the voltage going to the coils while cranking the motor? A lot of people have connecd the the power wires to a spot that's hot until you start cranking and then loses power.
I have the power going to the power post on the fuse box, and the starter is connected there as well.

Originally Posted by LS1powerd
Did you check to see if everything connected.
Everything is connected that I can find a hole for.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by yesaCSpencer
I pulled the motor last summer from the Camaro I bought, and I just tried to start it for the first time about 2 weeks ago.
What year was the Camaro?
Did it have a Body Control Module that was transferred to the new vehicle?
I'm still wondering if VATS might have a part in this
Some folks have sprayed starting ether directly into the throttle body to bypass the lack of fuel getting to the cylinders (because of VATS).
Old 09-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

it was an 02 Z28.
Not sure what the body control module is?
Old 09-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

vats will not stop a motor from starting - only stop it after ~2 seconds. however - if the motor has been sitting for a while and hasn't been fired it can crank for a while and then of course vats will intervene after a few seconds and cut fuel.

I'd recommend feeding it some throttle and trying to see if it fires and then if it dies right away you'll know it's vats if it catches and dies. if it doesn't catch and die i'd look elsewhere - make sure you have your coil and injector wires hooked to ignition hot and your constant power to the PCM hooked up as well.

if you haven't bypassed VATs you'll need to at some point. I didn't have any luck with the bypass modules and had to have a friend with hptuners delete it and bam, instantly working.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tongboy
vats will not stop a motor from starting - only stop it after ~2 seconds. however - if the motor has been sitting for a while and hasn't been fired it can crank for a while and then of course vats will intervene after a few seconds and cut fuel.

I'd recommend feeding it some throttle and trying to see if it fires and then if it dies right away you'll know it's vats if it catches and dies. if it doesn't catch and die i'd look elsewhere - make sure you have your coil and injector wires hooked to ignition hot and your constant power to the PCM hooked up as well.

if you haven't bypassed VATs you'll need to at some point. I didn't have any luck with the bypass modules and had to have a friend with hptuners delete it and bam, instantly working.
I tried to start it again just a second ago and it sputtered and then just kept turning over so it may just be VATS...idk
Old 09-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Is there any way to tell if its VATS other than it not starting?
Old 09-04-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tongboy

I had a different experience with VATS. With VATS enabled, and without a VATS signal module, the car would crank but never fire.
After adding a module, the car fired up.
Later, I eliminated VATS in the ECM.
Not saying that VATS has to be the remedy, just that it is a possibility.

Last edited by gMAG; 09-04-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

I had a different experience with VATS. With VATS enabled, and without a VATS signal module, the car would crank but never fire.
After adding a module, the car fired up.
Later, I eliminated VATS in the ECM.
Not saying that VATS has to be the remedy, just that it is a possibility.
I know people have various "issues" with VATS - i've read it's supposed to allow the car to run for like 8 seconds or something, others say it wont allow it to crank, my exact issue was that it would crank, catch and die within 2 or so seconds (very quickly, I could hold the throttle down and rev it and then it would cut out at like 2500 rpms once it caught and started revving, it was fast)

as many ways as i've seen people experience issues with VATS it's easy to blame if you haven't had it disabled or bypassed - it should always make the top of someones list after they have checked the very few wires the PCM requires to run

Quick Reply: LS1 S14 Wont start