Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting to mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting to mod

I just returned from a 2 year deployment and I want to put some money into my 2002 SS A4. I have a SLP loudmouth catback with pacesetter coated lt's, y-pipe, and a full SLP lid. I'm looking into a FAST 90mm w/ a NW 90mm TB, Diablosport tuner (with or without the SLP tune I dont know), Level 2 BMR handling package with a BMR torque arm, and a stall converter. Now, I would really appreciate opinions and experience. What other mods if any need to be done with a stall converter? What size stall? Is the Diablo tuner worth it? Any info would be great help. Thanks gentlemen...
Old 09-03-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02silversurfer
I just returned from a 2 year deployment and I want to put some money into my 2002 SS A4. I have a SLP loudmouth catback with pacesetter coated lt's, y-pipe, and a full SLP lid. I'm looking into a FAST 90mm w/ a NW 90mm TB, Diablosport tuner (with or without the SLP tune I dont know), Level 2 BMR handling package with a BMR torque arm, and a stall converter. Now, I would really appreciate opinions and experience. What other mods if any need to be done with a stall converter? What size stall? Is the Diablo tuner worth it? Any info would be great help. Thanks gentlemen...
Welcome back. I would upgrade to a 102 fast setup if you are swapping intakes. This intake will really shine when you upgrade the heads and/or cam. At the time of the install, I would have it tuned on a chassis dyno and for the street by one of the shops that sponsor the site. I wouldn't use the diablo tuner.

I recently installed a set of Bilstein shocks/struts, strano springs, and strano sway bars on my 6 speed SS and was very impressed with the results. The car handles so much better now.

With a converter, if you plan to put a moderate sized cam in it, I would go with a 3600. Several of my friends have Yank converters and like them. If you wanted to go with a larger cam, like a MS4, or TRex, I would go 4000, maybe even a 4400. You will also need a trans cooler, and it will need to be tuned for the converter too.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with 67SS and upgrade to the 102Fast and not waste your time with the 90mm. As for the converter I would go with a 3600 if its your daily driver, if not I would suggest a 4000stall. Some good converters that are out there are Yank and Circle D.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

I have a mild cam and a 3600 stall.... I'm pretty happy with the combo, except my trans took a crap right after the stall and cam was put in.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by 02silversurfer
get a trans cooler with a stall. id get a shift kit and deeper pan too.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dee99gt
I have a mild cam and a 3600 stall.... I'm pretty happy with the combo, except my trans took a crap right after the stall and cam was put in.
im not surprised just get it built.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:12 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

An absolute must that I didn't see the other guys mention is the subframe connectors. Without them you will twist your frame.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:15 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
get a trans cooler with a stall. id get a shift kit and deeper pan too.
Trans cooler... another absolute must. Without out a good cooler your high stall will allow the trans to destroy itself.