General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

kooks header install. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation kooks header install. HELP!!

Well me and a buddy of mine are installing kooks lts on my 2000 z28. and my buddy got the passenger side in easy no problem. but were having a pretty hard time with the drivers side any tips?? what do we need to take off?? Do we need to grind anything?? My friend has installed headers numerous times but this is his first time installing kooks.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

I've installed a couple sets of headers and not once have I had to remove anything extra or grind anything down to get them up and in. I had the car jacked up mega high and I fiddled with it until it went in.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

The kooks long tube fit when u take the oil filter off . I've done them a couple of times
Old 09-05-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never installed a set of Kooks Headers, but I do recall the Driverside header on both my buddy's 98 Z28 and my bro's 02 SS being a tight fit compared to my 99 Formula. All three cars received a set of JET HOT LTs. On the 98 Z28 we put a small dent in the Firewall where the header was hanging up. It was still tight going thru, but this allowed us to squeeze it past and slide into place in the engine bay. This may be an option for you.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tyler ovel
The kooks long tube fit when u take the oil filter off . I've done them a couple of times
Yep, and get the car as high up as possible. It's been a while (had Kooks on a `99) but if I remember correctly the header needed to be almost perpendicular on the driver side to slide in.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had to force my kooks headers in on the drivers side. I did the same thing thought wtf cause i did not want to mess anything up. There is an area where it binds up on it so i just gave it a little umph and it went on up. I have taken them in out 3 time and have to do it every time. I did have a little bit problem with clearance on mine too. I had to grind the side of the stock k member to keep it from tapping on it when the engine torqued. Pretty easy install tho.