Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69SYC, 69 Camaro LQ/4L60

Ok well here she is proud new owner of a 69 Camaro

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

She was a factory hugger orange 6cyl 3speed pretty plain jane.. Im pretty happy with the deal i got on her, New quarters, tailpan, decklid, cowl, door skins, fenders, pretty much everything new metal except the floors which have been patched.. The guy i bought it from bought it as it sits from Pennsylvania in hopes of building a SEMA show car.. It was not up to his standards some of the welds etc.. They cut the rockers apart to look at the welds so i have to replace those but all in all i paid pretty much what the metal would cost let alone time and labor putting it together this far.. I have a bit of metalwork to do but nothing extensive and best part is this car showed up on ebay 30 miles from my home

Last edited by 69SYC; 09-04-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:31 AM
Teching In

Here she is goin in her new home for the next couple years

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

So there she is... Im beginning to chicken out on my original plan I think im going to wait and do the C5 Transaxle vette under somethin thats a little bigger with a bigger trunk, Like another 67 GTO later on... So what im looking at is there is a complete bolt in kit on eBay out of square tubing for a front subframe:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Direc...item587f8d45ac

Mustang II spindles, Drilled slotted rotors etc. Seems like a pretty good deal compared to any other performance bolt in subframe..

Option 2: There are also upgrade kits for my existing subframe, Tubular a arms, spindles, brakes, Sway bars etc which is alot cheaper but would it be as good? It doesnt have to be an autocrosser but i do want it to handle pretty good..

Steering.. I have seen many of you guys upgrade to the IROC steering boxes and others what are your opinions for starting from scratch? The bolt in comes complete with control arms, tie rods etc...
Old 09-04-2011, 02:50 AM
Teching In

Under the rear she is a factory open 10 bolt: Now im not going to be clutch dumping and really giving this rear hell, its goin to be an automatic and never launched that hard, Im looking also at upgrade kits with sway bars and new leafs for a reasonable amount...

Now since im not goin with the vette like planned originally Im looking for a LQ4 or 9 doesnt matter, Im goin to tear it down and use only the heads and block, 0.060 over and buy a callies 4.125 stroker kit to give me my 427 cubes.. Still researching on what cam i want.. Little polishing on the heads and Victor Jr intake when I get it and Fast EFI.. ( I know im cheating) lol but i want a semi retro BBC look..

[IMG][/IMG]

Firewall has already been smoothed

[IMG][/IMG]

Idiot cut open the rockers to look at the welds.... and they fit so well

[IMG][/IMG]

Parts parts and more parts...

Last edited by 69SYC; 09-11-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:10 AM
Teching In

Now for the sad part of the story.. I dont even get to see her in person for another year Im currently overseas in Mongolia for Wagner Cat as an instructor for Cat Engines, Fuel systems, and Machine Hydraulics. I only get to come home for 30 days per year or i get screwed on taxes... Been here one year so far got one to go (maybe more) they like me here.. If so im havin it sent over in a container with my tools so i dont go insane... but in the meantime I get to start ordering shiny new parts for her which i also wont get to see and be a pain in the *** to my dad pickin stuff up etc.. Thanks to him btw.. Had him go look at her, get a casheirs check out of my account and go pick her up (Note he used my truck to go get it )

But on an even more ironic note same day he went to pick mine up he also bought himself a new project.. 48 Ford F1 on an S10 (we think) frame that came with a new SB383 stroker and a bunch of other things.. Which he made out like a bandit on.. Hes goin through his second childhood lol we just finished his 63 Vette with a Radical 383 SBC and now with this one hes wantin somethin more "driveable" lol copycat... Pretty funny since this fuel injection craze we seem to be building a collection of SBCs that we have no idea what to do with So i believe this one will be getting an LS in the future.. And lucky him gets a head start on me...

Dad and His new toy.. 55 Years old and hes in better shape than me at 23 lol

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

So now the nice bay protecting my 02 Z71 is now filled with a 69 Camaro and a 48 ford Let the sparks fly...
Old 09-04-2011, 03:14 AM
Teching In

For the price youd pay for that front subframe... You pretty much could have a DSE hydroformed front clip, if you really think about it/ scrimp.
Overall...Car looks solid, coming from a 4 time over 69 camaro restorer... I would take this "plane jane" and run with it,guarantee before you get it satisfactory to your standards.. Youll be taking names and numbers for the list of interested.

Way i see it.... If you dont have to result, to going down to the skeleton of a car.. 70 and older, youve made a wise/ FUN purchase.. As.. Really, the battle.. Is the fun. Good luck with your build, post pics of the GTO you sold if you can.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:18 AM
Teching In

Edit, do something with that 48 Phurd. My bossman has two, one nostalgia rod perse.. And the other, is in the process of a 4.6 mod motor and a little borg warner turbo. I love the fat fendered sleek lined early model phurd pickups.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Quaman
For the price youd pay for that front subframe... You pretty much could have a DSE hydroformed front clip, if you really think about it/ scrimp.
Overall...Car looks solid, coming from a 4 time over 69 camaro restorer... I would take this "plane jane" and run with it,guarantee before you get it satisfactory to your standards.. Youll be taking names and numbers for the list of interested.

Way i see it.... If you dont have to result, to going down to the skeleton of a car.. 70 and older, youve made a wise/ FUN purchase.. As.. Really, the battle.. Is the fun. Good luck with your build, post pics of the GTO you sold if you can.
Awesome thanks for the input ill have to look into that are they a sponser on here? And thanks I'm really looking forward to it, to me building it is almost as fun as driving the finished product.. almost lol yes there are headaches and busted knuckles but thats what it takes..

GTO and buddies 53 5 window on a C4 vette (hes the one thats got me wantin to do vette components)

[IMG][/IMG]

Dads 63 Vette

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-04-2011, 03:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Quaman
Edit, do something with that 48 Phurd. My bossman has two, one nostalgia rod perse.. And the other, is in the process of a 4.6 mod motor and a little borg warner turbo. I love the fat fendered sleek lined early model phurd pickups.
Yeah he grew up drivin countless 47-65 Ford F7, F8, F9 trucks as log trucks etc.. From flatheads to the whoppin 534 with an 1150cfm holley Before they got their first Diesel truck lol, every one of them trucks is still down there, probably a good 10 of them i personally like the 51-52 grille... and the 56.. But i like a split winshield on an old street rod pickup... I have a 39 Chevy pickup that i will someday do as well so many projects so little time..
Old 09-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Considering a Dana 44 C4 Vette IRS like my buddies street rod.... Any ideas on this? Or anything else i mentioned...
Old 09-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Teching In

[IMG][/IMG]

Ok I think this is the subframe I am going with seems like a pretty good deal Mustang II spindles, Mustang II Rack, Drilled and slotted rotors, QA-1 Coilovers, Tubular A arms, Universal trans x member and solid motor mounts... Pretty good deal for $2300 i think..

Rear.. I need help or ideas, Truck gearing and suspension I'm pretty handy but for cars I'm in the dark.. My GTO had a 10 bolt 3:90 was in the car. Only took it apart to replace a seal... Setting up backlash, pre load, contact pattern is not a problem i have setup countless diffs (trucks and equipment) but need a little direction on where to go for this one.. I believe it has the 8.2 open 10 bolt (6 cylinder) I think an 8.5 posi 10 bolt will suffice?? Have a hard time justifying $1500 for a 12 bolt without brakes... especially when a C4 Dana 44 with IRS is the same price.. Im looking at either a 10 bolt with a good sway bar or a ford 9" also with a good sway bar.. 4 link is a little pricey so maybe caltracs?? Please help out here this is my first rodeo setting up a suspension and axle package for a car... Input is greatly appreciated thanks

Last edited by 69SYC; 09-12-2011 at 08:44 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 69SYC, 69 Camaro LQ/4L60