Old 09-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this cam to big for dd

Its a custom trex cam. 243/249 609/612 110lsa
Old 09-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Banned

I would say Hell Yes! others would say no.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Too big is all relative to what you are willing to live with. Though you may not mind that cam, most people would say it is too big. With a good tune, that could be driven everyday and not be all that bad. Personally I think my 233/239 i'm waiting to install is the biggest I am willing to go on a DD that is stock cube.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know plenty of people that DD that cam...its all in the TUNE
Old 09-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Im not to worried bout the gas miliage cause my job isn't that far from me, but kinda worried about the cooling of the motor.some people say it might run warmer than normal
Old 09-04-2011, 09:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1tafirehawk
Im not to worried bout the gas miliage cause my job isn't that far from me, but kinda worried about the cooling of the motor.some people say it might run warmer than normal
LOL damn you NOOBs come up with some ridiculous ****...
Old 09-04-2011, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1tafirehawk
youll have to run TWO cold air intakes to get extra cool air into your motor with a cam that big
Old 09-04-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Oh man...
Old 09-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

I got a bad *** intake setup
Old 09-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

I got a bad *** intake setup
Old 09-04-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I keep hearing this, "it's all in the tune". Can anyone say for sure what exactly needs to be done in a tune to make such a big cam idle and drive well under DD situations??

At some point a cam has to be just down right BIG and will be a burden to drive at 7:00am in traffic on your way to work Tuesday morning...

I ask because as a consumer and not a pro tuner, how do I know I got a good tune? Yea we have graphs n such... But thats all for WOT. How do I know I got one of these tunes y'all speak of?? Lol
Old 09-04-2011, 10:48 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by desertLS1
No offense, but people that attempt to represent opinionated bullshit as fact are those who are rendering forums like this completely useless as a source for factual information.

That cam is a max effort cam, and far from being designed for a daily driver. There are a LOT of other things that come into play when running a camshaft that big. They bleed off a ton of cylinder pressure, hence the reason they don't make any bottom end TQ in a small engine. Vacuum becomes an issue, high idles to keep it running, etc.

The OP needs to do himself a favor and quit buying the internet hype. Call someone that builds LS1 engines for a living, and talk to them about your goals and what you want out of your car. Thanks to the marketing campaigns these vendors put behind their "custom" camshafts, they'll have you thinking a 250 duration cam is daily driver friendly. I remove 15-20 internet hyped cams per year because someone bought the hype, and then hate life afterwards when they're car was a turd around town and drove like crap.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Frick, you need to take your car to a reputable tuner/shop. Do your research around here on who is reputable and does top notch work in your area. You might want to find someone that specializes in our motors. Either way, you'll find a lot of useful info here on who you can take your car to in your area.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

@ damian that's sounds understandable. Im gone to look more into before I go with anything. I just hear so many diff stories. Ima just talk to some engine builders I know for more info but thanks guys..
Old 09-04-2011, 11:35 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Damian
No offense, but people that attempt to represent opinionated bullshit as fact are those who are rendering forums like this completely useless as a source for factual information.

That cam is a max effort cam, and far from being designed for a daily driver. There are a LOT of other things that come into play when running a camshaft that big. They bleed off a ton of cylinder pressure, hence the reason they don't make any bottom end TQ in a small engine. Vacuum becomes an issue, high idles to keep it running, etc.

The OP needs to do himself a favor and quit buying the internet hype. Call someone that builds LS1 engines for a living, and talk to them about your goals and what you want out of your car. Thanks to the marketing campaigns these vendors put behind their "custom" camshafts, they'll have you thinking a 250 duration cam is daily driver friendly. I remove 15-20 internet hyped cams per year because someone bought the hype, and then hate life afterwards when they're car was a turd around town and drove like crap.

All I was saying is that i know people with that cam who DD it just fine...
the way it perfroms under normal driving conditions depends on how well the car was tuned...is that not true? correct me if im worng but im pretty sure a well tuned car will be a ton better to drive than a shitty tuned car...
You also have to take into consideration that there are those who can put up with more than others when it comes to bucking and surging and what not...
I agree the best advice to give would be to contact a Vendor or anyone who knows what the **** they are talking about, kinda like how i contacted you with my goals on what I wanted for a cam.
I also agree that people on the net read that cam A made 450rwhp cam only so they go buy it thinking they will have the LS1 from hell. but as you mentioned they install it only to have it pulled after they get beat by a small cam with a **** ton of power under the curve.
Im not trying to pass my opinions as facts just for the record, you can take what ever you read on line for what ever its worth.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

First off, this statement is bullshit. It's not at all completely false because the engines are computer controlled. But, tuning the computer can not change the characteristics of a camshaft.

OP- your question has a great deal with, what are the cubic inches of the motor? I'm guessing 346, but it wasn't specified. Assuming it's 346ci, I will lean towards that cam won't be very DD friendly to most. One of the biggest reasons is what Damian mentioned, the cam will bleed of a lot of cylinder pressure. The motor will be sluggish down low, where a DD car spends 99% of its time. Another important thing to consider in cam selection is your induction system/what style of intake.

I have the TSP torquer V3 cam (231/234, .643/.598 on 112lsa) and PRC stage 2.5 5.3L heads on stock 346 cubes, dyno tuned. M6 trans btw. For what I like, and I like a smooth ride, this is about as big of a cam I would enjoy in a 346ci daily driver. Although my Vette is not a DD, I still wanted it to drive like one.

Last edited by R6cowboy; 09-04-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
First off, this statement is bullshit. It's not at all completely false because the engines are computer controlled. But, tuning the computer can not change the characteristics of a camshaft.

You just contradicted yourself...and your second sentence is exactly my point.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You just contradicted yourself...and your second sentence is exactly my point.
Not quite. You said its ALL in the tune. That's what I said is bullshit, because it is. I know the tune has a good deal in how the motor runs and plays a big part, but its not ALL of it. For example, tuning the PCM can not change valve events, which guess what, plays a big roll in how the motor runs.

Anyways, sorry to call BS on your "its all in the tune" statement, but that's just not completely true.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Damian

Excellent post. I, for one, am not willing to DD a car that lumps around town like a funny car.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a mid 22x, low 23x would make a decent dd cam in my opinion..

Quick Reply: is this cam to big for dd