Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Question

Good Morning I am in the market for a complete LS1 conversion to put into a 1961 Impala. I have found a 2001 Transam complete engine from valve cover to oil pan for $500, yet the seller told me the reason for selling was that there was a slight noise coming from the block(possibly the crank). Would you advise buying this to rebuild or stay away. I guess would it be more costly in the long run or will I break even? I am not looking to race or drag my car just a resto with a nice motor. I'm sorry for the novice questioning I am new to this. Also I am located in Long Island NY. Thanks in advance for any help...
Old 09-04-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Better off buying an engine with no problems, because until you tear into the block you wont know the extent of the damage. Unless of course your an engine builder or have the hookup with one. Why not get a 6.0 truck motor? More torque to get your imp moving. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by usafws6
Better off buying an engine with no problems, because until you tear into the block you wont know the extent of the damage. Unless of course your an engine builder or have the hookup with one. Why not get a 6.0 truck motor? More torque to get your imp moving. Good luck.
I am going to pass on that LS1 and possibly look into a 5.3 or a 6.0 for my conversion. After buying one of these motors what do you recommend doing to get it close as possibly to a LS1?