Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 new bottom end, high comp? Low comp. Turbo?

Old 09-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 new bottom end, high comp? Low comp. Turbo?

I have a LS2 with heads,cam,exhaust. I'm thinking of pulling the engine back out to upgrade pistons and rods. Need info on what to do. Right now the comp. is stock with bottom end. Which is better? I know low compression for turbo but how much gains and problems would I see with higher compression? Right now oI have around 475 RWHP and looking to make a good bit more. I really dont want to turbo for the power unless I have too. Any ideas would be great. Also If I do have to go turbo to get the power I want, what sizes and setups. What pistons and rods for what app.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You have lots of options - most will be limited by how much work you can do at home and how much money you are willing to spend. Not sure how much power you want to put down - there is a big difference between 500 and 1000 rwhp.

For NA, you really should consider going to a longer stroke. You are already planning to replace pistons and rods, adding a crank can get you over 400 inches. Depending on what heads and cam you have now, you can improve your power significantly. If you get bored here, a shot of nitrous on top can net you way more power than you really can use on the streets for a lot less money than a turbo.

For turbo, sky is the limit on power - assuming you have a lot of cash and time to spend getting it right. Stock cubes can get you 1000 hp with good heads, optimal cam and lots of boost. If you are better at bolting things on as opposed to fabrication, consider
Procharger. Their kits are really bolt on in nature and can make tons of power as well.

I'd recommend 2618 alloy pistons for any true high performance build along with forged rods and ARP studs/bolts. There are lots of good choices out there, check with sponsors for best pricing and fit for what you need.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Banned

I have stage 2 CNC LS6 heads/ Dual Valve springs/pushrods/231/236 112 cam I think. Would like to stay NA. What HP gains with milling the heads, longer stroke and what problems will I run into with higher comp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS2 new bottom end, high comp? Low comp. Turbo?