Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

critique my 408 tt build!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default critique my 408 tt build!!

right now I am shooting for 1000 rwhp. forever i wanted to go the f1a route, but the turbos eventually took over for me. i am trying to figure out the best turbo size and cam to get the best powerband, power range, top mph, spool time/ low rpm driveability.... just like everybody else. so i don't want a pig that moves strong up top. is it asking too much to want to get in boost by 3000rpm and full by 4000 and still have enough life to push 1000rwhp (I really want to hit that goal) and still get a low 8.9-9.3 1/4 @ 3600 w/driver? I bought the Victor so I can run higher than the 6400 i ran with the old set-up.

can i get a cam with smaller duration to help get rpm's up quicker to hit boost sooner vs getting a smaller A/R?

i also want to be able to take the car to the texas mile next year and hit post 200mph, is that likely with a quick spooler?

ok now onto the car. I have a 99 TA 408 iron: -20 dished wiseco's; callies compstar rods; callies crank; coated bearings, stock untouched 317's cometic .051 gaskets, ARP head studs, victor jr & rails, IE elbow, NW 92mm TB, FIC 95lb injectors, twin walbros with a dedicated feed line ran, front mount fuel reg, tt treadstone fmic, bmr turbo k-member & A-arms, A/C delete, battery relocated. griffin radiator, factory gear setting and built t-56

on the to buy list: slp ported oil pump, double roller timing chain, harland rockers with hardened pushrods, dual springs, (basically the high rpm goodies). All of the turbo usuals, 60mm BOV, 44mm gates, meth kit, e-boost2, t4 flanges

now, the whole reason for the thread, I am 85% sure i want twin magnum 70's with .81AR to see if they can get me to my goal. I am pretty content with the twin set-up, so what twin will suit me better if not the 70's? My friend is trying to convince me to go twin 76, i think it will be too big for my goals even with an .81 ar. Am i correct? also, I am 100% sure my car will be getting tuned at thunder racing or Futral being that they are the best in the region where i'm stationed. and I know they both spec good cams. My question is, what type of profile am i looking for on a cam that can keep out of boost driveability and still have an agressive nature mid range since the turbo will pick up the power up top with the aid of the jr's high rpm? It'd be nice to get some feedback from guys from the sponsors i mentioned. It'd definitely help my tuning choice

I have already taken a few pics of the progress so far and will get them posted when it consists of more than an empty bay and a garage full of parts.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have Geoff at Engine Power System's (forum sponsor) cut you a cam. He is also a hell of a tuner.....he did my tuning on my twin setup and it super sharp. p.s....i'm running twin billet 6765's which will exceed your goal and spool fast. Best of luck
Old 09-04-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

His name definitely sounds familiar. I will look into this. Thanks for the advice. I know the heads may be a limiting factor pass 800rwhp. i'm just hoping i can get there without lifting the heads.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With my old combo, i started lifting the stock heads about 800rwhp. Just switched to tfs with thick decks. Geoff is the man. He is located in Baton Rouge.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Tracy, I actually went with the twin magnum 70s and they're sitting pretty in the garage lol. Can't wait until i'm anywhere near putting them in the bay. I talked to Allan @ futral and I think i'm going to get him to tune my car. He has alread spec'ed a cam and i should be getting it in another week or so. I will do an actual build thread later as i am too tired and busy most of the time to put effort into it.

Quick Reply: critique my 408 tt build!!