General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS1 Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Advice

Good Morning I am in the market for a complete LS1 conversion to put into a 1961 Impala. I have found a 2001 Transam complete engine from valve cover to oil pan for $500, yet the seller told me the reason for selling was that there was a slight noise coming from the block(possibly the crank). Would you advise buying this to rebuild or stay away. I guess would it be more costly in the long run or will I break even? I am not looking to race or drag my car just a resto with a nice motor. I'm sorry for the novice questioning I am new to this. Also I am located in Long Island NY. Thanks in advance for any help...
Old 09-05-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice is either buy a complete 6.0 with harness abd everything unless going carb. When you buy a motor thats knocking always assume its junk, if you get it tore down and it just spun a bearing then good for you. As of right now though $500 seams like a steal if the body is in decent shape to. Personally I would buy it since its super cheap. If you get into the motor and its good thats a bonys in my book.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice is either buy a complete 6.0 with harness abd everything unless going carb. When you buy a motor thats knocking always assume its junk, if you get it tore down and it just spun a bearing then good for you. As of right now though $500 seams like a steal if the body is in decent shape to. Personally I would buy it since its super cheap. If you get into the motor and its good thats a bonus in my book.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the guy is asking $500... it's prob not in good shape and is worth passing On. Not worth finding out IMHO.

I would either start with a 6.0 block or a LSX block and just go from there.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
If the guy is asking $500... it's prob not in good shape and is worth passing On. Not worth finding out IMHO.

I would either start with a 6.0 block or a LSX block and just go from there.
Thanks for the advice. Im going to look into the 6.3 or 6.0 blocks.

Originally Posted by parks450
My advice is either buy a complete 6.0 with harness abd everything unless going carb. When you buy a motor thats knocking always assume its junk, if you get it tore down and it just spun a bearing then good for you. As of right now though $500 seams like a steal if the body is in decent shape to. Personally I would buy it since its super cheap. If you get into the motor and its good thats a bonus in my book.
The motor isnt in the car its in a corner in his garage. So I couldnt tell you anything about the car. But I think im passing on this motor. Thanks for your advice.