Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New from Central Cali

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New from Central Cali

Don't know why I never joined the forum earlier, always been an LS1 fan.

Well I'm finally an LS1 owner so here I am.

Picked up a bone stock 1998 T/A A4 WS6 about a month ago. I did some google searching (most of which landed me here) and purchased a couple of things yesterday and the day before

Pacesetter long tube headers
SLP Lid
UMI strut brace
C5 Z06 rims

When my WS6 rims sell, I'll be purchasing some sub-frame connectors to get welded in.

Parts are still on their way other than the rims, they're currently installed and sitting on Goodyear F1's. Btw, is it ok to use 5/16" spacers? I had extremely minor rubbing with the tire and undercoating due to the 295/35/18's in the rear.

Anyway, here are some pics when I first got it and later after I clay bar'd the car and installed the new-to-me-wheels.

PS The clearcoat on my hood is peeling/fading. Hoping I could get that taken care of soon, or maybe my wife will hate it enough to just pay for it
Old 09-06-2011, 03:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need for a space, search bfh... big fing hammer. That will solve the rubbing issue.

Nice car man, welcome.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by lemons12
No need for a space, search bfh... big fing hammer. That will solve the rubbing issue.

Nice car man, welcome.
Thanks! I love your T/A's color btw, couldn't find an unmolested one in that color around here so I went with a black one.

As for the spacers, I'll soon get rid of them when time permits.

I would've done mods to the car upon receiving it but I believe in bringing it up to par. I don't trust a previous owner to have done fluids/etc. at their given time.

So far what I've done is;
New dex-cool coolant, got the radiator completely flushed.
Already on it's second oil change. Changed it, ran sea foam and changed it again.
Tranny fluid, though I only got about 3-4qts out. I heard if you completely drain/flush it you should have about 10qts? Might have to do that...
Oil filter of course, and drop-in K&N
Brake pads

Previous owner had head work done to the car less than a month prior to me buying it and includes;
New plugs gapped properly (according to him+mechanic)
New valves or springs, can't remember (OEM)
New head gaskets and valve cover gaskets
New o2 sensors
and more, can't remember.

He spent $3k (including labor) which sealed the deal for me. Car had 149k miles, now 150k.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site from Fresno! Yeah dont need the spacer get you a nice hammer and masage "beat it up" the inner wall. I have C5Z06's with 315's they didnt rub at all but were too close for my liking. So I went to town on it
Old 09-06-2011, 04:10 AM
On The Tree

Nice TA! She looks good. Lemons TA looks like poop and that ugly color! jk Gotta love pewter!
Old 09-06-2011, 04:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maintenance is always a smart decision.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:25 AM

Uhm, I just decided to go to the garage and take a closer look at my wheel/inner wall and this just bothered me -

The rim came down far enough to scrape?

Get rid of my rims or brush it off? Function over form any day of the week....just want some peace of mind. Maybe I should just not worry, even on stock suspension I go over bumps as if my car was lowered.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:27 AM
On The Tree

so your rim kissed the bump stop bracket?
Old 09-06-2011, 04:30 AM

Yep, looks like it.

Wonder if it's when I backed straight out of my driveway (rarely with any car) or something before I put the wheel spacers on.

I only drove it without spacers for about 1-2 minutes to test the rims/tires on the car. Heard some rubbing that night when driving around the block so I hopped out into the other car and bought wheel spacers. I probably overlooked the rubbing on the bump stop bracket.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:32 AM
On The Tree

You can grind them back some I've been thinking about doing mine but its been so hot lately that I just don't.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:35 AM

Got it, I'll take that as a 'carry on'

Can't wait until the long tubes are here!

Goals are minor and won't even require true duals. I love the sound of my stock muffler and single-on-the-left tail pipe so I might go with a custom Y from the headers to the stock muffler. Thoughts?
Old 09-06-2011, 04:44 AM
On The Tree

Do you want cats? If you do go witha TSP catted Y or if you dont go with a TSP ory.

http://www.texas-speed.com/c-75-headers-y-pipes.aspx

I have their ory. So you don't want the car loud? If you want to stay quite like it is now headers and ory would be great. but it you want the option to have it loud when you want get a cutout when you do the ory.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:48 AM

I've got 1yr 11 months until I have to worry about a smog or anything so, catless.

I wouldn't consider a cut out as an option for me because if I went with a cut out, it'd have to be an electric cut out. For the price of an electric cut out, I can get a shop to bend and run pipes for a true dual setup.

So what would you do then in my situation?

Btw, that's the website I ordered my Pacesetter LT's from. Someone on Camaroz28 forums recommended them to me. I'm a forum member there cause before the WS6 I had a '94 Z28.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:57 AM
On The Tree

Well you can go with the headers and ory with the stock catback and see how much you like it. Then later if you want more you can always add a cutout.

I have headers tsp ory cutout and magnaflow catback.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

welcome to tech, if you need a good tuner rick at synergy motorsports in fremont is the one to talk to. if you need cheap welding and installs done and your not afraid to drive a little ways come up and ill help you out.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by usafws6
welcome to tech, if you need a good tuner rick at synergy motorsports in fremont is the one to talk to. if you need cheap welding and installs done and your not afraid to drive a little ways come up and ill help you out.
Thanks!

As for tuning, I'd go out there and do so but I think I might get that done at the same shop I get my Pacesetter's installed.

As for other things, might take you up on that offer!

Funny cause I used to do the same for PT owners (had a quick modified PT, boosted and on meth injection).

Just installed my SLP lid and K&N filter Friday, UMI strut brace arrives the 13th and Pacesetter long tubes get here the 12th.

CAN'T WAIT!