Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 intake install

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 intake install

I just finished installing my LS6 intake, I started it yesterday by making my own EGR block off plate for the exhaust. I found a piece of metal in the garage that was thick enough and took off the EGR pipe work I them marked around the piece where it bolts to the exhaust. I bit of hacksawing filling and drilled the 2 holes and it was done.

I reused the gasket that was on there . I then srarted taking off the intake. I watched a video I found on here and followed that removing the wiring unpluging the injectors. I also looked at LS1howto.com. I got as far as taking out the 10 bolts that hold the intake in and then got stuck.

I could not lift the intake up and get it to come froward so I called it a day as it was getting dark. I looked on here for more descriptions. I see that alot of people had broken their oil pressure sending unit by puling the intake out without lifting it first.

What I found help me a lot and gave me more room to work was remove the cruise control unit and cables and put them over on the drivers side out of the way. The next step which helped the most was unbolt the air tube on the passenger side exhaust and take that pipe out from the back of the intake and again over to the driver side.

I could lift the intake a fraction to get it out of it 2 locating pims and get my hand behind the passeger side of the intake to the back and feel what was going on with the brake servo hose and the OPSU than it satrted to come out. I removed the vacuum line and plug on the back and hey presto intake out.

Getting it back in was much easier, make sure you have the 4 back intake bolts in when you put it back. Then put the brake servo hose in and feed it behind the OPSU and than when it in enough reconect the vacuum hose and electrical plug on the back.then just ease it in making sure nothing was trapped under it until it dropped in to palce. Then just bolt in down and torque the bolts in the correct sequence.

Put all the wiring back and connect the throttle cable ect and it's done. then start the car great no idle problems so it's seated ok and then go for a test drive. it feels a little crisper and more powerful but didn't give it any stick just yet I was jusy happy it went in well. I have a code because I removed my EGR.

It's a tricky job mainly because there no room in there and my forearms are scratched to ****. If you have skining arms it's a job for you or a mate with skiny get him to help!

I just glad it'sin there as it will take a week for the scratches and bruies to go down on my arms before I could tackle another job like that.

My question for you guys is I am doing my 3.42 gears install next. So I need some way of deleting the EGR and changing the PCM for the gears install.
I am probably going to do headers this winter so I either get a tunning package which look very expensive or it would probably be cheaper to send my PCM to someone like Texasspeed. Remember I live in the UK so there is no where in the UK who offers tuning for LS1's as there not a big demand.

What happens if I put my gears in and don't change the PCM doesthe speedo just read fastmy car is not a DD so i may even pickup a hand held tuner over the winter if I can find a used one. i have a 98 soit's differnt to allthe other years.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in the UK. I can help you tune it. You'll have to pay for the license for your 98 model. Where about are you in the UK? There is also a LS tuner in Bedford, UK however he's the one that gave me a fudged up tune.

Last edited by bene; 09-07-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bene
I live in the UK. I can help you tune it. You'll have to pay for the license for your 98 model. Where about are you in the UK? There is also a LS tuner in Bedford, UK however he's the one you gave me a fudged up tune.
Great I don't mind paying I am in swindon on the M4 between London and Bristol.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Z28camaroman
Great I don't mind paying I am in swindon on the M4 between London and Bristol.
You are out there. I live 1-1.5hr north of London. Brandon/Lakenheath, suffolk.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bene
You are out there. I live 1-1.5hr north of London. Brandon/Lakenheath, suffolk.
Your not that far away about a 100miles. I went upto Wisbech last year to get an engine for my last car so it's not too far for me to go.

How much would you want for the licence I am not familier with LS1 tunning software as I have not used any before. I had a couple of hand held HPP3 tuners fro my 95 Z28 and my 99 Z28 because I changed the gears on them.

Quick Reply: LS6 intake install