Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Polishing ZR1/SS wheels???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Polishing ZR1/SS wheels???

Was wondering if anyone has polished their stock zr1/ss wheel. Theyre for my NBM Z28 and they look good but polished would look better with Blue. Any steps, pics or process on how it would be or has been done would be great. Thanks

Heres a pic of what they look like right now...
Old 09-07-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

17x9.5 AFS, they were half stripped when I bought them. I finished stripping them, bought a aluminum polishing kit from Harbor Freight for my die grinder, and went to town. I had about 5 hours in each wheel. If I remember right (been a few years, sold the car since then) I started with 800 grit, 1000 grit, 1500 grit, then hit them with the buffing wheel and jewelers rouge or some other compound that came with the kit. You need something with rpms, my corded drill wouldn't spin up enough to work the metal. They turned out great, but honestly I wouldn't try it again. I especially wouldn't have a set of uncoated polished aluminum wheels on a DD. Mine was a garage queen, about 1500mi a year.

These are bad pics, they look washed out. They looked alot more shiny and polished in person.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BUMP..... back for any help...

Quick Reply: Polishing ZR1/SS wheels???