Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Dont know where to begin

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dont know where to begin

Been having trouble with what I believe to be the steering/suspension plus a vibration. Since I've had the car its always had a slight shimmy in the wheel. The wheel would naturally hang itsself 5 degrees to the left and pull to the left. When I hold the wheel strait, it drives strait. I took it to be aligned and when I got it back the guy told me that the wheels are aligned when the wheel is strait. As soon as you let go of the wheel it turns slightly and then the car turns. Nothing was fixed.
The second issue is that vibration. When I first got the car it vibrated but only at certain speeds. I went 157mph on the highway and didn't feel any vibration other than the road. Over time it bothered me so i rotated the tires individually to see if the vibration left the wheel (that way i would know if it was a tire). Sure enough it did! The vibration was gone in the steering wheel but my rear still shook and you could see the passenger seat going crazy. Next I checked out the driveshaft. It had a big defect so I replaced it with a new one I got at a swap meet from a 2000 Corvette. I put that on and much of the vibration. Went away (smoother ride, passenger seat didn't shake). Only problem is that now the car in general shakes violently as I approach 90mph and by 100mph I'm forced to let off bc I fear my safety.
Also to note: before I rotated the tires I noticed my front right tire was wearing funny. It turns out that that was the tire or rim that was vibrating. It's worn totally smooth on the outside edge but only on one quarter of its circumference. I don't see the front tire that is there now, looking like that. All four tires only have 5000 miles
Old 09-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Tomorrow I will try to post a pic of the wear of the tire
Old 09-08-2011, 12:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that definetly sounded like a out of align front end to me if the innerside is wearing.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

A vibration that follows a tire and is speed dependent means a balance issue. Get the wheels re-balanced and see if that improves.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

" .....Also to note: before I rotated the tires I noticed my front right tire was wearing funny. It turns out that that was the tire or rim that was vibrating. It's worn totally smooth on the outside edge but only on one quarter of its circumference. I don't see the front tire that is there now, looking like that. All four tires only have 5000 miles"""

"... outside edge but only on one quarter of its circumference."

THAT tire is bad ( shifted a belt) have it replaced, after which you may find car drives correct ( the alignment may be ok and you may be getting a reaction from THAT tire )

Johnny

Last edited by SS SLP2; 09-08-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I should have clarified my "balance" post above. Make sure you get it balanced at a shop with a "road force" balance machine. It will tell you if there is a defect in the tire.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:45 AM
Teching In

That tire needs to be replaced regardless. I figured the tire would need to be replaced. The bigger issue with me is that the front suspension or something is fucked up causing the steering wheel to force itsself 5 degrees to the left while also turning the car left. I know very little about suspensions and steering and the geometry of each as to what things cause what. My guess is something is bent that's causing it. In the front, I also hear a bump (like a metal on metal thump) when the front wheels go over bumps. Think the car was hit in the front right wheel before I got it bc a lot of unmentioned things point to that.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

CHANGE out THAT tire before doing any thing.....
Johnny
Old 09-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
CHANGE out THAT tire before doing any thing.....
Johnny
Will do...