New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Cam suggestions...? little overwhelmed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 Cam suggestions...? little overwhelmed...

It's been about 6 years since I've owned my Camaro(s). So i'm a bit out of the loop. I'll keep it short.

I'm in the process of picking up a 2002 Z28. Very clean, low mile car, and you can't beat the price.

Once I take ownership, I want to tweak it to my liking, maybe somewhere near 400ish rwhp (anywhere around that).

When I had my 2000 SS, I had a "Hot Cam", along with LS6 valve springs, and most other bolt-ons (it was a M6, as is the Z28 i'm trying to get). After the cam install and having it dyno-tuned, it put down just over 400 rwhp. It was a very quick car, but it wasn't fun for me to drive anymore. I didn't like the heavy lope at idle, it's just something that doesn't appeal to me for a car I'd like to drive on the street as much as possible.

That said, I've been reading for the last 4 hours on the site about cam/head work. What are my options? Should i just swap in LS6 heads/cam/intake? I've read a bit about some "stealth" cams...?

ANY input is appreciated, or even your past experiences would be great to hear. Sorry for not keeping it "short"...

Thanks ahead of time!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lastoria24
It's been about 6 years since I've owned my Camaro(s). So i'm a bit out of the loop. I'll keep it short.

I'm in the process of picking up a 2002 Z28. Very clean, low mile car, and you can't beat the price.

Once I take ownership, I want to tweak it to my liking, maybe somewhere near 400ish rwhp (anywhere around that).

When I had my 2000 SS, I had a "Hot Cam", along with LS6 valve springs, and most other bolt-ons (it was a M6, as is the Z28 i'm trying to get). After the cam install and having it dyno-tuned, it put down just over 400 rwhp. It was a very quick car, but it wasn't fun for me to drive anymore. I didn't like the heavy lope at idle, it's just something that doesn't appeal to me for a car I'd like to drive on the street as much as possible.

That said, I've been reading for the last 4 hours on the site about cam/head work. What are my options? Should i just swap in LS6 heads/cam/intake? I've read a bit about some "stealth" cams...?

ANY input is appreciated, or even your past experiences would be great to hear. Sorry for not keeping it "short"...

Thanks ahead of time!

As far as the Intake the 2001 and 2002 Fbodys came with LS6 intake already, all you need to do is get a ported Throttle body for the intake, for heads and cam, Youre gonna need LT headers as well for the engine to have a better air flow, valve springs, stronger timing chain, pushrods, maybe lifters, etc., I dont know too much about heads but for a street cam, 224/224, 224/228 or 228R, thats all I can help you with, I'm still learning.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the Cheatr Cams from Thunder Racing. About halfway down the page you can see them. You have a couple choices...just don't select one for forced induction. These are designed to work with a mostly stock engine setup.

I would recommend the 214/230 .601/.575 117 LSA.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fast intake, small cam and headers will get you to 400 witha great idle and drivability
Old 09-10-2011, 07:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

look at a EPS cam.