Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M6 question?

I have recently purchased a 6 speed 1999 ws6 trans am with 105,000 miles on it. I'm having a little trouble with the transmission shifting properly at high Rpms. It shifts perfect when I drive it normal but when I lay into it and try to slam 2nd it won't let me. I have to go half and wait a couple seconds and then it allows me to grab 2nd gear. It does the same when i go from 2nd to 3rd as well. The car has a new clutch. I'm scratching my head trying to figure this one out. Anybody know what the problem could be? Thanks
Old 09-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1formula275
I have recently purchased a 6 speed 1999 ws6 trans am with 105,000 miles on it. I'm having a little trouble with the transmission shifting properly at high Rpms. It shifts perfect when I drive it normal but when I lay into it and try to slam 2nd it won't let me. I have to go half and wait a couple seconds and then it allows me to grab 2nd gear. It does the same when i go from 2nd to 3rd as well. The car has a new clutch. I'm scratching my head trying to figure this one out. Anybody know what the problem could be? Thanks
First off. STOP BEATING ON THE CAR!

Second, you need to properly bleed the car to ensure enough fluid is getting through. I always do a gravity bleed, then have a helper with the rest.

Depending on the clutch your using, you honestly would be better off with a new Clutch Master Cyl from Tick performance. Hyd. clutch systems suffer from lack of fluid being pushed and a good sign is what is happening now.

Here is what I do....

All you need is a competent helper that can sit in the car, listen to direction, reach the clutch pedal and hold it for the time that you need.

DO NOT PUMP the pedal, it creates more issues then solves.

With my Tick unit and the 2 others I helped install I ALWAYS gravity bleed it which means with the line disconnected from the slave. With the car on jack stands, I fill the resivore(sp) and allow it to drain out of the line and this gets 95% of everything.

I then click in the line.

I have the help push down the clutch and hold. I, the person underneath cracks open the screw, the helper should notice the pedel crash down. I re tighten the bleeder and have them pull up the pedal.

You should be able to do this 3 times before adding some more to the res.

By the 4th or 5th time, it should be ALMOST there. Have them GENTLY Push down, and see if it pumps up. IF it does then top off and your done.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging properly. Try bleeding the system as stated above. If it's still not working the synchros might be worn and you need a rebuild. Depending on how many times you've tried to "slam" second and third you might need one now anyhow.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A tick mc is overkill for a stock style clutch. Buy a new gm unit if that doesnt fix it then the trans needs a rebuild.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

a few possibilites:

1. air in the system
2. master cylinder going out
3. clutch not disengaging due to improper or lack of shimming (brand? low pedal engagement?)
4. transmission wear

anyway, try bleeding first. you could also do the drill mod or upgrade to a tick master cylinder. that helps high rpm shifting a LOT, the stock master cylinder causes a lot of shifting issues. once you get it fixed go ahead and keep beating on the car. it's yours, drive it how you want, I bought mine to drive it and have fun, if I wanted a garage ornament I'd buy something else. just fix it before you keep trying to jam it into gear.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Try bleeding the system.If that doesnt help stock master cylinder causes alot of high RPM shifting issues.Tick MC will solve any problems if thats the problem