Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Camaro ZL1 BS thread

Old 09-10-2011, 12:36 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro ZL1 BS thread

It is officially anounced! The ZL1 is going to have 580hp/556lb ft of torque. I can't wait tell this thing comes out to see how it compares to the new GT500. I figured it was time for a new BS thread sense the others are OLD! Lets keep it civil in this one!

Camaro ZL1 VS Mustang Gt500!. The rivalry continues!

http://www.camaro5.com/

Last edited by z99ls1; 09-10-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:44 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1/4 mile times?
Old 09-10-2011, 12:46 AM
Teching In

The question is has it dropped any weight because the new GT500 is dropping lbs I hear
Old 09-10-2011, 01:02 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by NiteRiderWS6
The question is has it dropped any weight because the new GT500 is dropping lbs I hear
They said they spent a lot of time with weight distribution and weight reduction with the ZL1 and it should weigh less than the current SS. They even said it was one of there main goals to shed weight.

Al Oppenheiser:
"We have strategically gone after mass savings on the ZL1, such as the Wheels and Tires are 22 lbs less than the LS3 Wheels and Tires. The Carbon Fiber 'Mowhawk' is aimed at mass reduction, all to compensate for the additional mass of the Supercharger, Suspension upgrades, etc."Wednesday February 9, 2011 3:05 Al Oppenheiser
Old 09-10-2011, 03:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

I think it is going to be great for the new ZL1 VS GT500. I think the weight will be the biggest battle. Both should make around the same power. Also waiting to see the price of the Zl1 compared to the GT500. GT500 can be had from 54-68K depending on level you get and options.

From the looks of it though GM made this a corner carver more then a 1/4 mile car.

The 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1’s supercharged 6.2L engine is SAE-rated at 580 horsepower (432 kW) and 556 lb.-ft. of torque (754 Nm) – making it the most-powerful production Camaro ever.

The ZL1’s outstanding power is complemented by advanced powertrain and chassis technologies, including exclusive Performance Traction Management and third-generation Magnetic Ride Control.

“The Camaro ZL1 delivers supercar performance and technology in the sports-car segment,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “For sheer power, the ZL1 delivers more horsepower than a Ferrari 458, more torque than an Aston Martin DB9 V12, and a better power-to-weight ratio than a Porsche 911 Carrera GTS.

“The Camaro ZL1 also features exclusive chassis and traction technologies,” Oppenheiser said, “to offer the best of all worlds – including balanced handling for the track, acceleration for a drag strip, and the comfort of a daily driver.”

The most-powerful production Camaro ever

The 2012 Camaro ZL1’s surpasses the advertised power of the legendary 1969 Camaro ZL1’s 427 cubic-inch big block by more than 150 horsepower (112 kW) – while meeting modern emissions requirements. And, the new ZL1 is backed by General Motors’ five-year / 100,000-mile powertrain warranty.

“The torque is going to make the ZL1 a car you won’t want to get out of,” said John Rydzewski, assistant chief engineer for small block engines. “Not only will the ZL1 have more power and torque than the competition, we’re making it available with an optional automatic transmission, to appeal to a wider group of sports car enthusiasts.”

The all-aluminum LSA supercharged V-8 is part of GM’s legendary small-block engine family. For a solid foundation, the engine’s lower end uses six-bolt main bearing caps that clamp and lock in the forged steel crankshaft to the deep-skirt block. Its 1.9L Roots-style blower uses an efficient four-lobe rotor set and compact intercooler to deliver boosted air into the high-flow cylinder heads.

For the Camaro ZL1, the LSA features a unique induction system, with a lower-restriction air filter, dual inlet paths, and improved airflow through the supercharger housing. Other changes include a higher-efficiency supercharger intercooler and electric power steering system, which consumes less engine power than hydraulic-steering systems.

The ZL1 will be offered with either a six-speed manual or automatic transmission. The Tremec TR-6060 “MG9” manual features 30 percent more torque capacity than in the Camaro SS. The higher torque capacity results from a strengthened output shaft, high-strength rear housing, and additional roller bearing. The MG9 has also been tuned for improved shift feel, with a dual-mass flywheel, twin-disc clutch, and triple synchros for smooth, precise shifts.

Similarly, the Hydra-Matic 6L90 automatic has been strengthened to handle the torque and horsepower produced by the 6.2L supercharged small block. The 6L90 features a strengthened input gearset with two additional pinion gears, additional clutch plate, and a strengthened output shaft and gearset. To make the ZL1 perform equally well on street and track, the 6L90 features three distinct drive modes:

Read more: http://blogs.gmhightechperformance.c...#ixzz1XXM9fkqc
Old 09-10-2011, 03:40 AM
10 Second Club

Other track-ready features of the ZL1 include:

An engine-oil cooler, identical to the system on the Corvette ZR1. The integral liquid-to-liquid system is so effective that both the manual and automatic transmissions are deemed to be fully track-capable with the standard factory-installed cooling package.
A rear-differential cooler, which pumps transmission fluid to a heat exchanger, reduces temperatures in the differential by more than 100 F.
A high-performance fuel system delivers fuel to the LSA engine under any performance driving condition. For example, the system features additional fuel pickups on the primary side, and the secondary fuel pickup is moved outboard for continuous fuel access during high-g cornering under low fuel conditions.

Magnetic Ride Control 3.0 adjusts damping 1,000 times per second

The Camaro ZL1 will feature the third-generation of Magnetic Ride Control (MRC).

MRC employs valve-less damping and Magneto-Rheological (MR) fluid technology. MR fluid is a suspension of iron particles in a synthetic fluid. When the system is activated, the particles are magnetized and aligned into fibrous structures, changing flow resistance. By controlling the current to an electromagnetic coil inside the piston of the damper, the system varies the suspension firmness to match the road and driving conditions.

“Traditional suspension systems at some point compromise ride quality for road-holding grip and body control,” said Oppenheiser. “With Magnetic Ride Control, we can offer customers the best of both worlds: A comfortable ride that makes the ZL1 appropriate as a daily driver and the incredibly precise body control that makes the ZL1 so enjoyable on the track.”

For the third-generation, MRC uses new twin-wire/dual-coil dampers at all four corners. The smaller dual-coil system – with one coil at either end of the damper – replaces the larger single-core design of the previous generation.

The new design allows even more precise control of the electrical current (and magnetic flux), allowing greater range between the softest setting for ride comfort and the firmest setting for track driving. The new dual-coil design also enables faster response, with damping levels now adjusted up to 1,000 times per second – about one adjustment per inch of vehicle travel at 60 mph – making the system exceptionally responsive to changing driving and road conditions.

There are three settings for MRC in the ZL1: Tour, Sport, and Track.

Exclusive Performance Traction Management for the race course, and the drag strip

The Camaro ZL1 will also offer Performance Traction Management (PTM) as standard equipment, which is exclusive to General Motors. First introduced on the Corvette ZR1, PTM is an advanced system that integrates magnetic ride control, launch control, traction control and electronic stability control, to enhance performance on the racetrack and drag strip.

For example, the launch control feature (manual transmission only) automatically modulates engine torque for the best possible acceleration without excessive wheel spin. When the driver pushes the throttle to the floor, the system holds a predetermined engine speed until the driver releases the clutch. Then, the system modulates engine torque 100 times per second to maximize the available traction. The system is capable of approaching a skilled driver’s best effort and repeats it consistently.

Similarly, on a road course, the driver can apply full throttle when exiting a corner and PTM will automatically manage acceleration dynamics to maximize exit speed based on available traction.

Five PTM performance levels or modes are available to accommodate the given ambient and track conditions, driver experience/vehicle familiarity and driver comfort levels. They include:

Mode 1 – Traction control set for wet conditions, with stability control on and Magnetic Ride Control set on Tour.
Mode 2 – Traction control set for dry conditions, with stability control on and Magnetic Ride Control set on Tour.
Mode 3 – Traction control set on Sport 1, with stability control on and Magnetic Ride Control set on Sport.
Mode 4 – Traction control set on Sport 2, with stability control off and Magnetic Ride Control set on Sport.
Mode 5 – Traction control set on Race, with stability control off and Magnetic Ride Control set on Track. Launch control tuned for VHT-prepped drag strips.

“Like the Magnetic Ride Control, the Performance Traction Management system improves the ZL1 experience as a daily driver and on the track,” said Oppenheiser. “By offering five distinct modes of traction management, the driver can select what’s best for them based on their experience and the driving conditions. As a result, novice drivers will find the ZL1 is very enjoyable to drive, while expert drivers will find PTM supplements their driving skill without interfering with their intentions.”

Read more: http://blogs.gmhightechperformance.c...#ixzz1XXMOEZi0
Old 09-10-2011, 04:55 AM

After riding in a 2009 CTS-V, I really can't wait for this car to come out. 24 more hp and hopefully 300+ lbs less wait should make the ZL1 a very strong car. I would seriously consider ditching my current projects for one if I liked the interior of the new Camaro more.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Makes you wonder what the power bumps will be with the new V's or ZR1's (if even)
Old 09-10-2011, 07:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Well since the cts-v already out runs the gt 500( according to the mags)....I'm assuming it will be more of the same.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:20 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Well since the cts-v already out runs the gt 500( according to the mags)....I'm assuming it will be more of the same.
Now only if the magazines was true...
Old 09-10-2011, 08:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ohioborn80
Now only if the magazines was true...
For real...it was close...in real life the ford is slower than the mags.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Ohio you are going to have a heart attack with these Camaros start mopping up GT500s
Old 09-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

The GT500 weighs less than the ZL1's weight of close to 4200lbs. Although they took steps to reduce the weight the supercharger and supporting gear will still add weight overall. Also, according to GM's 7.24lbs per HP the GT500 will have a better power to weight ratio of 6.90lbs per hp. Road n Track "Thanks to the new engine, the electric power steering, and the lighter wheels, the car we drove tipped our scales at 3751 pounds, 146 less than the last GT500 we tested."
Old 09-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

94stang, you talking about the camaro or gt500?
Thanks to the new engine, the electric power steering, and the lighter wheels, the car we drove tipped our scales at 3751 pounds, 146 less than the last GT500 we tested."
also, I fixed your sig.

Sucking the doors off V-6 Camaro's since 1997
Old 09-10-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

looks alot better than the regular 2010 SS but still imo not as good looking as a challenger srt8 392 or 2011 gt500. with that being said i'd still rather have the zl1 over all of those just because of the motor
Old 09-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 94Mustang302ci
The GT500 weighs less than the ZL1's weight of close to 4200lbs. Although they took steps to reduce the weight the supercharger and supporting gear will still add weight overall. Also, according to GM's 7.24lbs per HP the GT500 will have a better power to weight ratio of 6.90lbs per hp. Road n Track "Thanks to the new engine, the electric power steering, and the lighter wheels, the car we drove tipped our scales at 3751 pounds, 146 less than the last GT500 we tested."
It hasn't been said what the weight is so you don't know. GM has a habbit to under rate hp levels aka the ls1 f-body.... And BTW the gt500's numbers are over rated

Last edited by z99ls1; 09-10-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

7.24 x 580 = 4200lbs. That sucks.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hate to say it, but i think this will be another 5th gen fbod disappointment.

i'm guessing the car will go high 11s @ 118-120 in stock trim. hopefully i am wrong and it actually represents a blown 4th gen sbc well.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by z99ls1
It hasn't been said what the weight is so you don't know. GM has a habbit to under rate hp levels aka the ls1 f-body.... And BTW the gt500's numbers are over rated
Not sure they over rated. They seem to be making 480-490whp stock. So that would be right in line with the 550hp they are rated.

I can't wait till they hit the streets. I will not go by magazine articles saying oh this car is faster or that one is faster. We all know that magazines can be bought and don't really test the cars to the best ability's.

I do like that GM is giving it a auto also. Throw a stall in it and go.

my biggest question is was Ford just waiting to see some final numbers for the ZL1 before bringing out the 2013 GT500 with confirmed numbers.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
7.24 x 580 = 4200lbs. That sucks.
They could have been going off of rwhp numbers... Wich would be just under 3800 lbs. I don't think there is any way it will weight 4200 lbs. They have worked way to hard on making it corner and all for it to be 4200 lbs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camaro ZL1 BS thread