Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bad Synchro

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Synchro

Earlier this week i noticed my t-56 m6 (GTO) was grinding going into 4th, its only that gear so from what ive read im guessing bad synchro. Also i recently replaced the clutch and noticed that the pilot bearing was chewed to hell (nothing but the race was left) again just going by what ive read it sounds like im going to have to have the input shaft retipped/replaced and the pocket brearing checked out .

My question is how bad is it to continue driving it like this? Is it going to be a time bomb or is the damage already done? I know its more than likely for my new pilot bearing to be chewed up very soon but what about the input shaft? is it going to cause other things to fail if it is wobbling?

I plan on doing any and all the repairs that i can myself, The most involved thing i have done so far is replace the clutch and slave so this is going to be a big jump for me. However, i spend 12+ hours a day on campus and work weekends so doing anything which requires removing the tranny is not going to happen until december when school is out and i have a little bit of free time.
Thanks in advance for all info/advice
Old 09-10-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damage is done. You likely have a worn out blocker ring, damaged dogteeth on the syncro ring or 4th gear. You can drive it but you will be stressing other parts of the tranny such as the fork and shift rails.

If the most involved thing you have done is a clutch, I would respectfully advise against tackling the tranny. It is very complicated and requires specialized tools and knowledge to do it correctly. Just fair warning ahead of time.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^same thing he said. I done that in my ta and I had to end up replace everything in there because I drove it easy for about a month. I would advise shutting it down till u get it fixed. Mines costed me right at at 2the grand because I upgraded to brass snycros in steel forks. And for tackling the tranny its work if u don't know what ur doing trust me. I did mines and it took speacial tools and time.my advice if u get a new clutch get everythng with it. New pilot bearing flywheel cause its hell to put all of it back together n ur clutch not engaging

Quick Reply: Bad Synchro