General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Removing VVT from L99 to make an LS3.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing VVT from L99 to make an LS3.

I have a Mast MotorSports SS416 that has VVT. I am running a Vintage Air Front runner system. The front runner adds 2 inch spacers to the system to bolt in front of the VVT cover.

The motor is going into a AME frame/57 Chevy. I quickly ran out of room between the pulleys and radiator. A major relocation problem at this point.

Can this VVT system be removed and run as an LS3? Is there any different programing or any thing else I should be aware of?

I am also using a 6L80E trans if that makes any difference to the equation.

Thanks for any input, I really am new to the LS technology.

Den
Old 09-10-2011, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope this helps:
6.2L (376 CI) L99 (Auto Trans)
The 400hp/410-lb-ft L99 is used in V8 Camaros with an automatic. With both VCT and AFM, it's harder to modify in stock form. Short-block problems are similar to the LS3.

AFM problems (450 hp, 0.500-inch-lift cams, or high rpm): Half the lifters and their corresponding cam lobes are unique. Comp and LPE offer AFM-style cams, but they're limited to 0.500-lift because the special lifters don't work with a reduced base circle. If you raise the rev limiter beyond the L99's 6,200-rpm limit and then run up against it, Jannetty Racing says the AFM lifters will fail. Best option: Reprogram the ECU to delete AFM, then install a conventional cam and lifters.

VCT phaser woes: Valve-to-piston contact can occur with bigger cams from too much advance. Comp Cams has a phaser limit kit that allows aggressive cam profiles with up to 220 degrees duration at 0.050. Above this, either: increase intake centerline 2 degrees for every 4-degree duration increase, change pistons, or delete VCT; the latter requires installing a LS3 front cover and a conventional timing set.

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/g...#ixzz1Xbo58NtK

Quick Reply: Removing VVT from L99 to make an LS3.