Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

My QTP electric cut out fell apart???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy My QTP electric cut out fell apart???

This really susks i participate in a weekly get together over at in-n-out in town, i when i left to go get some parts for a friend everything was fine, but on the way but to in-n-out i hit a bump to fast and when i stoped everyone came over to me and asked me what that popping sound was. i thought it was just my speaker bottoming out but when i looked under the car there was the solonoid to my cut out just dangling there all banged and scratched up , the screws are missing so i can't re-asemble it and i have no idea if there's any thing wrong with the motor ....

sorry had to vent, just so cause it's starting to feel like my car is starting to fall apart

Last edited by Tdawg; 03-06-2004 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:02 PM
10 Second Club

Ive been wanting to buy another one of these, but a similar thing happened to me. I was driving and I noticed my cutout wouldnt open, I stopped , looked and noticed the motor I guess was burnt up. I drove for a couple thousand miles with it not working and eventually the motor fell off completely, i just took the bolts off and kept driving, left it on the side of the interstate. I dont see hte quality being that great, or maybe I just got a bad batch.

-morgan
Old 03-08-2004, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

I've tried a couple different brands of electronic cutouts and had the same or similar results with all of them... not a single company has good quality for these items. Even if you take care to install these so they have plenty of clearance and NEVER hit the ground and you do NOT take them out in the rain, the will still fail to operate and/or fall apart.

I've given up on this mod.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:09 PM
Back in the staging lane

I have read several posts of similar things happening. I have stayed away and just bought regular cutouts because of this.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beeler422
I have read several posts of similar things happening. I have stayed away and just bought regular cutouts because of this.
Same here. Do those things come with any sort of warranty? The shouldnt claim that since they are used for racing there is no warranty, since its not really effected by racing like a cam/heads/intake/etc. would be. But I am sure they do though, just so they dont have to pay to replace their cheap product....
Old 03-09-2004, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

Posts like this are why I haven't bought one yet!
Old 03-10-2004, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

That sucks. I've had one for over a year and it still works great. I open and close it all the time. If mine went out, I would buy another motor for it.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

I'm still trying to figure out why this is in the "Stereo & Electronic's" section?
Old 03-10-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by unredeemed
I'm still trying to figure out why this is in the "Stereo & Electronic's" section?
Probably because the QTP is electronic!
Old 03-10-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 14u2nv
Probably because the QTP is electronic!

Electric and electronic are two different things. Tell me how a motor on some gears hooked to a switch is electronic? Not to be nitpicky but this would have been better in a performance section.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:13 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Its electrical..... close enough.

--VIP1
Old 03-10-2004, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Now I'm worried, I've had mine for several months. No problems yet (knock on wood).
My car is lowered so I do occassionally bottom out and it's my daily driver so I do sometimes drive it in the rain. I'm sure it's the intense heat that kills them. My cutouts that the QTPs are attached to are ceramic coated so I'm hoping that may help them live a little longer.

I didn't see where anyone said how long they lasted before they fell apart. I kind of figured this thing will fall apart just because of the heat, but if I can get a couple years out of them, then I'll be happy enough to buy new ones when these burn out.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QOUTE]My cutouts that the QTPs are attached to are ceramic coated so I'm hoping that may help them live a little longer.

I didn't see where anyone said how long they lasted before they fell apart. I kind of figured this thing will fall apart just because of the heat, but if I can get a couple years out of them, then I'll be happy enough to buy new ones when these burn out.[/QUOTE]

mine is connected to one of QTP's ceramic coated cut-out's as well, and i've only had the thing since last sept. i think one of the reasons mine fell apart would be because my car may be riding on the bump stops and just permently bottoming out, or at least untill i buy new shocks and springs.

ok i've got the thing back together used some locktight this time but after a day of driving it, i looked under the car because it just sounded like crap, it just sound like an huge exaughst leek. anyways when i looked under there and it was leeking gear oil. i think i'm going to try and but another one and see where that goes.