General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

02 T/A: LS3 or LS7?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 T/A: LS3 or LS7?

When i get back from this deployment, I'm am looking at doing a motor swap in the T/A. My options are LS3 or LS7 (wet sump) as the title says. As far as the motor swap itself goes, what are my give and take on these motors? I'm told the LS7 will be more complicated and costly to swap than an LS3, but LS7 has the bigger potential. How much more should I expect $$ wise? Can anyone tell me what my considerations need to be? Considerations other than building the rest of car to handle the power. That will all be addressed as well. I will be paying for the swap as I don't have the time, skills, or space to do it myself. Not looking for quotes on labor or anything, just what the extra cost might involve.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Personally I would go for the ls3. There is more potentials with the ls3 than the ls7 and the cost will be less. Ls7 is a one off block and if ur get real ls7 heads and stuff it gets costly, my buddy has one in his 99 ss, true ls7 block with etp heads and man that car cost for.parts. pluse the ls3 has thicker walls for the pistons and has less of a chance of cracking if u put boost or nitrous on later.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Modded LS3. Good value for the money.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Definetly the LS3, you could probably buy a brand new LS3 forged and stroked longblock for about the same price as a USED ls7. and the ls3 will make more hp and be alot stronger.

IMO LS7s are overated for the Price per HP performance. case in point a buddy in my club has a zo6 vette with alot of mods I bet he has over 10 to 15k into the engine and has only managed to get 560RWHP. because what you dont understand is most everythign in the LS7 is upgraded so swapping a set of aftermarket heads that you paid 3k for wont net you the same power as 3k heads on a ls3.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:48 AM
10 Second Club

best thing you can do if your ganna buy a used motor is get you a ls3 pullout and get you a converter box and keep your drive by cable, everything off your ls1 accessory wise bolts right up.

figure out what your budget is cause you will probably need a rear end upgrade as well.

and a good rear end dosnt come cheep especally if you want to keep a streetable rear end with abs and all
Old 09-12-2011, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

FWIW I purchased my 418 right here on ls1tech on the forums, theres always guys on here selling built engines for good prices for one reason or another, yes its a tad bit risky but hell for the price I got my 418 fore even if something is wrong with it I would probably still come out way cheeper than building one brand new
Old 09-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
figure out what your budget is cause you will probably need a rear end upgrade as well.

and a good rear end dosnt come cheep especally if you want to keep a streetable rear end with abs and all

I knew the rear end was gonna be the first thing on the list. How is the MWC 9" working out? I have been looking at their stuff the last couple of days. Their site is under construction right now. Do they do assembly?
Old 09-12-2011, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

I've heard nohing but good things about Midwest Chassis. I will hopefully be getting a rear end from them over the winter.