Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke... Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smoke... Help please!

So everytime I take my dip stick out after I drive it smoke always comes out of it. It also comes out of the oil cap. It's leaking a little bit from underneath the car close to the transmission. It's a 2000 Camaro SS M6. Completely stock accept cat back. I go through a half quart of oil every week. I'm getting ready to put a 408 in it anyways real soon but I would still like to know what's wrong. It also has a faint knock that u can barley hear at idle but get louder as you give it more throttle. U can really hear it between 1500-2500. Any help would be appreciated. It's not piston slap because it does it when its warm. Also my engine is not over heating according to the temp gauge. Thanks guys for Ur advice.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

How do the plugs look? Do you get a puff of smoke out the tail pipes when you start the motor warm?
Old 09-11-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Never checked. That will be the first thing I do tomorrow if my car has enough power to start. My altinator died yesterday and had to get a jump and charge my battery from my friends car... I'm having shitty luck I was on my way to the track and was going to meet another member on here... But if it starts Il see if it can get warm and then Il try to start it again.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Damn, if it is running that badly the service engine soon light should be on. My best guess by the two things I asked if you had checked it a broken ring land on a piston and or bad valve guides. Pull the spark plugs and if you have one or two oily you have located your problem.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok thanks for the help. Il probly just wait for my short block and just fix my altinator for now. It's been doing that for a while and no check engine light has came on. Weird...
Old 09-12-2011, 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 703 CAMAROSS
So everytime I take my dip stick out after I drive it smoke always comes out of it. It also comes out of the oil cap. It's leaking a little bit from underneath the car close to the transmission. It's a 2000 Camaro SS M6. Completely stock accept cat back. I go through a half quart of oil every week. I'm getting ready to put a 408 in it anyways real soon but I would still like to know what's wrong. It also has a faint knock that u can barley hear at idle but get louder as you give it more throttle. U can really hear it between 1500-2500. Any help would be appreciated. It's not piston slap because it does it when its warm. Also my engine is not over heating according to the temp gauge. Thanks guys for Ur advice.
Smoke coming from dipstick / breathers indicates blowby from piston rings.

Classic case of piston ring GM gen III motor problem. Had you owned / known this in 2002 it could have been fixed under warranty like my car was. Known LS1 issue, rings dont seat, let oil pass (blowby), causing excessive oil consumption. That coupled with your rear main seal leak, I can imagine you eat through a crap load of oil. Knock could have developed from having low oil at one point, or something else. too many possibilities.

If you're going 408 don't worry about it, youll be starting over from ground 0.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just bought the car last year. It has 140000 miles lol. It's due for a new engine haha.